What Is Bow Window?
Bow window a type of window which is used to provide extra space to the homeowner. It creates extra space by projecting beyond the exterior wall of the building and provides extra wider view of the street or the garden.
Bow window is widely known as the compass window. Bow window is basically a combination of three or four windows which join each other and creates a beautiful arch. The first use of bow windows is observed in the eighteenth century in United Kingdom.
Some famous example of bow windows is White’s club, London.
Types of Bow Windows
1. Canted Type
Canted type is the classic type of bow window, where it has flat straight front and angles side. These types of windows are generally seen in the residential buildings.
2. Box Type
3. Oriel Type
It is one of the oldest type of bow window and it is found in the old England. Oriel window is seen in the side of a building and it’s never touched the ground. It also provide extra structural support and also increases the aesthetic beauty of the house.
4. Circular Type
Circular type of bow window is an uncommon type where it has its own category. Here, a large glass panel is placed and additional glass is fixed on the top of the window.
Bow Window Sizes
There are so many sizes are available in the market, those are-
|Minimum Width||Maximum Width||Minimum Height||Maximum Height||Minimum Depth||
Advantages & Disadvantages of Bow Window
Advantages of Bow Window
There are so many pros of bow windows, those are in the following-
- Natural Light: Bow window is basically a very wide opening window and it helps to enter more natural sunlight from outside. Bow window also provides a beautiful panoramic view of the outside. It also provides mental and visual refreshments of the owner.
- Stylish: Bow window is very stylish type window and it provides more space in the room. It also very energy efficient, good aesthetic beauty, etc.
- Ventilation: Bow window is naturally a combination of three or more windows, so it provides a good air ventilation.
- Home Value Increased: It can also increases the value of the house because it is a beautiful window. So, who want to sell his or her property they can earn extra benefits.
- Cozy Reading Retreat: Bow window creates an enough space for reading purpose. One can easily fits a reading table or sofa for reading purpose.
- Versatility: This windows are very versatile due to it’s design, everyone wants to install it to their home. Now a days people installing bow window into the bedroom, kitchen also.
Disadvantages of Bow Window
There are also some cons are presented in the bow windows, those are-
- Bow window provides an extra opening to your room but in the summer time, extra sunlight can create huge problem but if you install coloured glass then this problem will be reduce. So, this is one of the main disadvantages of using a bow window.
- In bow window, you need to fit a custom type curtain. This type of curtain are very costly, so, it will increase the initial cost of the whole work. This is another disadvantage.
- Bow window is a very structurally heavy window; so, if you want to install it then make sure that your house foundation must be strong enough to carry a huge load of that window without creating any problem.