Information of Fence
The fence is the most essential part of the garden of our house which helps us to keep secure our home from animals and acts as a boundary of our house.
So, it is very important to select the best type of fence style for your home which is durable and strong enough to keep your home safe and secure. There are various types of Fences are available in the market and it is very difficult and confusing to choose the best one for your house.
You may have a question in your mind that how far apart should fence posts be? So, here in this article, we will help you to select the best fence for your home and the perfect spacing so that you can install one of the best quality Fences for your house which keeps your property safe and secure.
What is a Fence?
A fence can be defined as a structure that is erected at the exterior side of our land which forms an enclosed boundary structure. The fencing is one of the most essential things which keeps our house safe and secure.
The fence is constructed by inserting posts in the ground which are connected with the help of rails or boards.
What is Fence Post?
Fencing post is a vertical element that is used in the construction of the fence which helps the fencing to stand in the vertical position. The fence post is made up of concrete, wood or steel, etc. Fencing posts are inserted into the ground in an accurate horizontal line.
Concrete and wood are widely used materials in the manufacturing of fence posts. Fence posts act as a support to the fences and help to withstand in high winds and aggressive environmental conditions.
The fence posts are installed on the ground and fixed with the help of concrete so that they can withstand and cannot be collapsed. The mix of crushed gravel and soil is used to backfill the hole around the fence post.
Purpose of Fencing
There is the various purpose for which Fence used are as follows.
1. It Provides Safety
2. Fence Helps to Establish the Boundaries
The land without having a fence is very difficult to identify its boundaries. The fence is used as a boundary of our plot which gives us the authority and the ownership of our land. The fence acts as a line that separates the property from each other.
3. It Provides Privacy
The yard of our home is the best place where one can get relax, so people want to achieve privacy in their yard. The Fence is an ideal solution that provides you privacy so that you can enjoy in your home yard. So that’s why privacy is one of the main reasons for installing a fence.
4. The Fence Provides Security to the Property
A fence will prevent the entry of unknown people into your property so that you can stay safe and secure in your house. Fence also helps to keep your children inside the yard and restricts them to go outside.
5. To Enhance the Aesthetics of Your Home
Fences are the best way to improve the aesthetical beauty of your structure. The fences are available in various types of designs and shapes which increase the curb appeal of your home. A fence with good privacy and security aspects with the best designs will increase the value of your home.
Also, read: Bolt Vs Screw | What Is Bolt | What Is Screws
Types of Fences
There are numerous fences are available in the market based on the materials which are as follows.
- Wood Fence
- Aluminum fence
- PVC Fence
- Wrought Iron Fence
- Electric fence
- Bamboo Farm fence
- Vinyl Fence
How Far Apart Should Fence Posts Be?
- After selecting the right material for fencing your house then the second most important part is to decide the perfect spacing for fence. Post spacing provides the framework to the perimeter of your land where you have to install fencing.
- So, what do you think how far apart should fence posts be? The spacing between the fence posts is important because it is directly connected to the strength and stability of the fencing.
- The posts of the fencing must be installed at a proper distance so that the fencing should remain strong and stable and get installed within the minimum cost.
- While installation of the fence posts you also have to give attention to the economy. If you installed the fence posts at a great distance apart from each other than the number of posts required is less but it will reduce the integral strength of the fencing and there may be chances of collapsing the fence. And if you reduce the distance between the fence posts then the number of posts required is more and it will increase the total cost required for the installation of the fence posts. This will also look very strange.
- So, the fence posts must be placed at an optimum distance such that the strength and stability of the fencing should be achieved within the minimum cost.
- There is a one-thumb rule to decide how far to spacefence posts while the installation of a fence. The wood fence post spacing depends upon the type of fence posts you are using.
- So, the ideal spacing between the fence posts ranges from 8 feet up to 10 feet. This distance is optimum for placing the fence posts which also provides additional strength and safety to the fencing and reduces the maintenance cost.
Here we have given a range of distance for different types of fences which are available in the market which are as follows
|Type of Fencing||Spacing Between Fence Posts|
|Welded wire fencing||08-12 feet|
|Field type fencing||08-12 feet|
|Deer and orchard fencing||15-20 feet|
|Deer and wildlife fencing||15-20 feet|
|HT barbed wire fencing||20-30 feet|
|HT smooth wire fencing||20-30 feet|
|Sheep and goat fencing||08-12 feet|
|Welded fencing||08-12 feet|
|Yard, garden and kennel fencing||08-12 feet|
|Barbed fencing||08-12 feet|
- If you have to install the fencing for the temporary purpose then the widely spaced fence posts are the best option which you can opt that also requires less cost for installation as the number of fence posts are less.
Factors Affecting Distance Between the Fence Posts
There are various factors which impact to decide the spacing between fence posts are as
1. Weight of the Fencing Material
The spacing between the fence posts depends upon how heavy the fence is which you are using. If you are using heavy fencing material then the spacing between the fence posts should be kept minimum and if the fencing material is lightweight then the fence posts spacing can be kept at a larger distance from each other.
2. Topography of the Land
The terrain of the land where you have to install fencing impact the spacing between the fence posts.
3. Nature and Usage of the Area
The area where you want to fencing also affects the spacing between the fence posts. If the fencing is to be done for the animals, then the fence posts should be closely spaced so that it will restricts the tension of the animals against the fence.
4. Type of Soil
The ground conditions and the type of soil available affects the spacing between the posts. If the area where you want to fencing have black cotton soil then the fence posts should be installed at a greater depth and closed each other so that the fence posts will not undergoes any movement. The soils which have low bearing capacity requires larger length of fence posts so that it can be installed at a greater depth.
5. Strength of the Fence Posts
The spacing between the fence post can be increased if you use high strength fence posts such as concrete fence posts or steel fence posts. For the high strength fence posts, you can place the fence posts up to 15 feet from each other.
How Many Fence Posts Are Required for Installation of Fencing?
The calculation of the number of posts required to fencing is very simple and easy.
- Perimeter of rectangular land = 2 (L+B)
- Perimeter of rectangular land = 2(100+200)
- Perimeter of rectangular land = 2x 300
- Perimeter of rectangular land = 600 feet
- Number of posts required for fencing = (Perimeter of land/Spacing between the fence posts)
- Number of posts required for fencing = (600/ 100)
- Number of posts required for fencing = 60 nos
Conclusion of Fence Posts
So, we hope that you have got the answer to your question about how far between fence posts. The standard fence post spacing which is generally used ranges between 8 to 12 feet.