Hand Level Surveying
Hand level is the device which is generally used by grading contractors and land surveyors. Hand level is worked by comparing multiple points against a reference point to found a height or horizontal distance.
Hand level surveying is ideal for preliminary land survey work, simple distance measurement or any other site job.
Hand level surveying saves our valuable time because it does not require a tripod stand or levelling instrument setup. Hand level surveying is a quick process that’s why contractors use it widely. Hand level is also known as sight level, pocket level and Abney level.
What Is Site Level?
Hand level and Site-level is the same instrument. Different names present them. Sometimes it called also Hand Site level. Hand level is a tool that is used for rough levelling, that is an estimation and not for precision.
Hand level instrument held by hand and used for approximate work at a small distance. Hand level is suitable for cutting and filling grading job and levelling of any ground surface.
Hand level is a spirit level which is fixed in the telescope. Hand level is worked by comparing multiple points against a reference point to found a height or horizontal distance.
Hand sight levels are ideal in that type of projects which including bricklaying, fencing, laying lawn, etc. Hand levels required less time as compared to another levelling instrument by setting and levelling.
Nowadays, most projects around the houses require hand sight level for estimation purpose; this could be helpful by using a hand sight level.
How to Use a Hand Level
It’s one of the easy instrument to handle. So, it can easily be operated by anyone. The steps to use a hand level are-
At first, we need to hold the device at eye level and look through a small opening of the hand level instrument. Secondly, you must make sure that you should not cover the spirit vial when you are holding the instrument.
After that, depending on the reference point, you need to raise the lower front end of sight level until the bubble of spirit level fixed in the centre of the centre line in the viewing window.
Then once the bubble centre to the centre line of the instrument, we found the level from that. Finally, one of the essential things is if you hold the instrument in a table or other plane surface station it will give you a more accurate reading despite the previous one because by this method the device is resting steadily.
Estimating Distance with a Sight Level
A sight level is also used with sighting rod. It is used for estimating distances between the user and the object
Procedure for Estimating Distance with a Sight Level
- At first, you need to look through the device. Then we need to note down the top and bottom lines of the viewing window. Generally, the ratio of bottom and top is 1:12.
- Here is an example, if a user looks through sight level of the instrument and sees the top line at six fleet’s of the rod and bottom line at three fleets, so the user is 36 feet away from the rod.
- Here you observe that how to calculate the problem.
- First, we are going to find the difference between the two distances in the viewing window; it’s just 6 – 3 = 3. After that, we calculate the difference and multiply by 12.
- It’s done because to convert from thee distance ratio to the actual distance, that is 3 x 12 = 36.
So, it’s the whole process of hand level, use of hand level and estimating distance through this instrument.