Information of Granite Flooring
One of the common questions which will arise when we constructing our new house that what type of flooring we should choose for our house. Nowadays, Granite flooring becomes very popular and used almost everywhere in the interior of the house. Granite provides an aesthetical look and also it is durable.
In this article, you will get to know all about granite flooring, its advantages, disadvantages, the installation process of granite flooring.
What is Granite A Stone?
Granite is basically coarse-grained, igneous rock that is rich in silica, aluminum, and potassium-bearing minerals. Granite is one of the commonly used crystalline rocks. Granite is one of the popular types of building materials that are widely used in the construction industry. The Granite tiles are dense and possess high strength.
Granite makes a large part of the earth’s continental crust and is generally used as a decorative stone in the front of the buildings, and mostly used in the kitchen counters. Granite comes in a wide range of colors, designs, and patterns in the market which will improve the look of your structure.
What is Granite Flooring?
Granite is made up of minerals such as feldspar and quartz, which add to its feature sparkle. Granite Flooring gives an atmosphere of wealth, and its beauty surpasses most of the other tile’s materials. It is a bit expensive and weighty, so experts must install it. Being a natural stone product, it is Eco-friendly.
Durability is one of the most attractive aspects of granite. Homeowners who expect significant foot traffic in certain spaces will do well to install granite flooring. As long as you use the right granite sealer and cleaner, your granite tiles can last for decades.
Granite as a Flooring Option
Nowadays, the Granite stone is widely used for flooring because of its numerous advantages and beautiful look. Granite is the most popular type of flooring for the interior as well as for the exterior of the buildings. Granite has a high content of silica due to it has high hardness and it is commonly used in high foot traffic areas to withstand loads.
Granite is one of the best flooring options that come with a wide range of colors and textures so that you can choose as per your requirement. Granite tiles are an economical, durable flooring option that also requires very little maintenance.
Types of Granite Tiles for Flooring
There are various types of granite tiles for flooring are available in the market with various types of designs and patterns which are as follows
- S K Blue granite
- Madurai Gold granite
- Kashmir White Granite
- Platinum White Granite
- Crystal Yellow Granite
- Rosy Pink Granite
- Steel Grey granite
- Tan Brown Granite
- Black Galaxy Granite
1. S K Blue Granite
In this type of granite, you will get a pattern on its surface and it is generally used on the staircase. The cost of S K blue granite tiles is around Rs 140/ square feet.
2. Madurai Gold Granite
This type of granite slab absorbs little water that’s why it is not ideal to install in bathrooms and balconies. This is scratch-proof and hard stone. It is generally used for kitchen tops, floorings, wall cladding, etc. The cost of Madurai gold granite slabs is around Rs 175/ square feet.
3. Kashmir White Granite
The Kashmir white granite has a glossy finish and it is more durable. The thickness of these granite slabs ranges between 20mm to 30mm. It will help to improve the beauty of your home and generally used in the kitchen tops and floorings etc. It will retain its original color for a longer period.
It is available in the following sizes
- 60 cm x 30 cm
- 60 cm x 60 cm
4. Platinum White Granite
The platinum white granite has a bright-colored surface and also cheaper than other types of granite. It is more durable and available with a leather finish. The cost of platinum white granite is Rs 50/ square feet. It has a beautiful look and finishes.
5. Crystal Yellow Granite
The crystal yellow granite is generally used in the interiors and flooring and has a bright color. It has evenly scattered crystals and it is one of the most uniform tiles which has a thickness of about 18mm to 20mm.
6. Rosy Pink Granite
The rosy pink granite has attractive designs and beautiful patterns on its surface. It is one of the economical types of granite tiles. It has good resistance to scratch and has high breaking strength and smooth texture.
It is also popular as a zero maintenance granite because of its high durability and strength. It does not require sealing which ultimately saves the cost of sealant. The cost of Rosy Pink Granite is around Rs 85/ square feet.
7. Steel Grey Granite
The Steel grey granite has a shade of grey and flecks of a lighter grey on its surface. It is available in the slabs and generally used in the exterior and interior works for commercial as well as residential buildings.
The cost of a steel grey granite slab ranges between Rs 60-70/square feet. These are available in different sizes and have excellent finished surfaces.
8. Tan Brown Granite
Tan Brown granite surface has a presence of black, grey tones evenly spread on the light brown surface of the granite tiles. It comes with a flamed, brushed, polished leather finish. You can also use tan brown granite in the front elevation of the building because of its beautiful texture.
The cost of tan brown granite is around Rs 100/ square feet. It is available in dark color and is mostly used in the flooring.
9. Black Galaxy Granite
It offers a very attractive look at stars in the galaxy that’s why it is named Black Galaxy Granite. It is mostly used in kitchen tops. The particles in this Galaxy black granite reflect and gives a mirror finish. It is expensive as compared to other types of granite slabs. The cost of the Black galaxy granite is Rs 200/ square feet.
Market Price of Granite Tiles
The price segment of the granite tiles may vary from place to place. But we have given a range of the prices of granite tiles so that you will have an idea of its cost.
The cost of the granite tiles also depends upon the thickness of the granite tiles. It also depends upon the color and pattern of granite.
The cost of the granite tiles also varies as per the quality of the granite.
Price of Granite Flooring Tiles
|Granite Tiles||Cost of Granite Slab Per Square Feet|
|S K Blue granite||$ 2.00|
|Madurai Gold granite||$ 2.40|
|Kashmir White Granite||$ 1.10 – $ 1.30|
|Platinum white Granite||$ 1.00|
|Crystal Yellow Granite||$ 1.10 – $ 1.30|
|Rosy Pink Granite||$ 1.15|
|Steel Grey granite||$ 1.0 to $ 1.30|
|Tan Brown Granite||$ 1.40|
|Black Galaxy Granite||$ 2.75|
Installation of Granite Flooring ?
Here, we have explained a step-by-step procedure for the installation of the granite tile flooring in your home.
Equipment required for the installation of granite flooring is as follows.
- Notched trowel
- Grout float
- Penetrating grout sealer
- Paper towel
- Rubber mallet
- Wet saw
- Plastic spacers
- Floor tiles- made of granite
- Grout sponge
How to Install Granite Flooring
Step 1: Preparation of Subfloor
- The first step of the installation of the granite flooring is to clean the subfloor surface and make it even.
- During cleaning the subfloor, the paints and sealants should be scrapped properly with sandpaper.
- The uneven subfloor can cause cracks and weak points in the granite flooring. This may affect the durability and strength of the granite flooring.
- If you are installing the granite flooring directly on the concrete flooring then make sure that you will seal and fill all the cracks and holes.
- Fill all the pores and voids and sweep off the debris, so that the granite flooring can be properly installed.
- If the granite flooring is to be installed on the old flooring, then remove the old tiles completely.
Step 2: Laying of the Granite Tiles
- The layout of the granite tiles flooring should be planned so that there will not be any issues while its installation.
- The Tile that is used in the installation of the flooring should be 90-degree corner tile. You can use Tile spacers if the size of the room is more, it will help you to get an idea about the size of tiles required to cut.
Step 3: Mixing and Application of Mortar
- For the installation of the granite flooring, you have to use a special type of mortar. It is generally recommended that 1 part of cement and 5 parts of sand is mixed with water to achieve the consistency of the mix.
- The thickness of 6mm to 8mm is applied with the help of a trowel.
Step 4: Installation of Granite Flooring
- The Granite tiles are placed on the floor with the help of the plastic spacer so that the alignment of the tiles should be correctly maintained.
- Place the granite tiles on the top of the floor and then press it firmly on all the corners so that there will not be any voids will be remained at the bottom side of the granite flooring.
- Lightly tap the tile with the help of the rubber mallet so that the complete tile will get attached to the mortar.
Step 5: Application of Grout Over Tiles
- The grout is applied to the gaps between the two tiles so that there will be a good bond between the tiles.
- Then allow the grout to be cured properly then only do the cleaning of the tiles. The grouts are mixed in small batches and they should be used within 15 to 20 min of preparation.
Step 6: Cleaning and Sealing
- The final step in the process of the granite tile installation is the cleaning and finishing of the granite surface so that it can be ready for use.
- Clean the granite flooring surface with a sponge and warm water and sweep off all the dust and debris from it.
- Generally, the granite with dark color does not require sealing but some light color required sealing as it helps to enhance the surface of the flooring and make it shine.
- Hence, the procedure of the installation of the granite flooring is completed and it is ready to use.
Finishes Available for Granite Flooring
There are various types of finishes are available for the granite flooring that is as follows
1. Smooth Finish
The smooth finish is generally used for the interior of the buildings. The tiles are polished to achieve a smooth finish on their surface and they look very beautiful. The smooth finish is ideal for the interior of the structures that add elegance to your home.
The smooth finishing of the granite will give the surface of granite a mirror-like shine.
2. Rough Finish
The rough finish to the surface of granite is usually used for the exteriors of the buildings.
3. Leathered Finish
Leathered finish is also one of the popular types of finish that enhance not only look but also properties of the granite.
4. Bush Hammered Finish
5. Flamed Finish
The flamed finish to granite is achieved by applying high temperatures that creates a unique color. The Flamed finish is also used for the exteriors of the buildings and have a high flame that is applied on the surface.
6. Honed Finish
5 Most Popular Granite Colors of 2022
The 5 most popular types of colors tiles that are mostly used in slabs are as follows
1. Blue Pearl Granite
The Blue pearl granite has a blue color shade on its surface. This is one of the premium types of granite tile which is ideal for the countertops. The cost of blue pearl granite ranges between Rs 350 to Rs 550/square feet.
The Blue pearl granite is a natural type of granite that does not absorb water that’s why it is best suitable for kitchen tops. The Blue pearl granite gives metallic background.
2. Black Pearl Granite
The Black pearl granite comes in a dark black color which has a black mirror finishing. You can use this granite in the kitchen tops, staircase, etc. This type of granite also does not absorb water.
3. Black Pearl Leather Granite
This type of granite is of dark color and available in different types of colors which give a beautiful texture.
4. Alaska White Granite
The Alaska white granite comes with a light background and dark minerals present on the surface. It has a pale silver and white color with natural and frosty marks preset on it. It does not require any type of chemical processing. Alaska white granite is ideal for commercial as well as residential buildings.
5. White Sparkle Granite
The white sparkle granite slabs are durable slabs that have wide applications in interior projects as well as commercial projects. It comes with a white color in the background and grey and brown specks.
Pros of Granite Flooring
Here, the Advantages of granite tile flooring are as follows.
- Granite has a higher density as compared to other types of stones.
- Granite has good weather and stain resistance due to which it is widely used in interior works.
- The Granite stone is very easy to clean and maintain.
- It has a high load-bearing capacity due to it is not easily broken.
Cons of Granite Flooring
Here, the Disadvantages of granite tile flooring are as follows.
- The polishing of the granite flooring is a little difficult and expensive.
- Granite tiles are heavy, that’s why some floors may not support loads of the heavy granite slabs.
- It is not possible to install granite at the kitchen top if the construction of your house is old.
- The installation process of the granite is difficult and required skilled labors.
- Granite flooring maintenance is very time-consuming.
Uses of Granite as Building Material
There are various uses of granite in the construction that are as follows.
- Granite has high resistance to chemicals and acids due to which it is widely used in the kitchen top.
- Granite is generally used in the flooring at railway stations or places where there is a high movement of traffic.
- It is also widely used in staircase and wall claddings.
- Generally, the Black Granite is more popular and have high cost as compared to another type of colors.
How to Buy Best Granite Slabs?
There is a common question running in the mind of people that How to purchase Granite slabs for your home. Here, we have listed some points that you should consider while buying granite so that you will not have to face any kind of problem.
- While you buy Granite, check whether the granite is colored coated or natural granite. The color-coated granite is a converted granite that has a layer of color applied on it and these may lose their color with time so we always recommend buying a natural granite.
- To check whether the granite is color coated or natural there is a simple hack, simply apply water to the back of the granite and check whether the color is uniform or not.
- The natural granite has a uniform color on both sides whereas in the case of color-coated granite there is a slight difference between the shade of color on both sides.
- Always go for natural granite as their finish and color are more durable than the color-coated granite, the color-coated granite may lose its color.
- Check whether there are any cracks are present on the granite. Always purchase granite in a day because at night the original color and cracks are not properly visible, it is only identified in daylight.
- Check the dimensions of the granite tiles whether they are as per the size that is mentioned and it should also have uniform color and texture.