Long Wall & Short Wall Method
In the load-bearing structures, long wall and short wall estimation is applied. Those walls which are along the long wall is considered a long wall, and those walls which are perpendicular to the long wall, are termed as short wall.
- Rate Analysis of Plaster
- Rate Analysis of Concrete
- Rate Analysis of Brick Masonry
- What is Rate Analysis | Rate Analysis of Earth Work, Brick, Concrete and Plaster
- How to Use Rate Analysis of Brick Work Calculator| Rate Analysis of Brick Work Calculator
Procedure of Long Wal and Short Wall
- At first outer to outer long wall distance is measured.
- Secondly, we measure the inner-to-inner distance of a short wall.
- This total length of long wall and short wall is multiplied by breadth and height.
Long Wall & Short Wall Method of Estimation
- In building estimate, long wall and short wall method is one of the very popular methods of estimation.
- This method is much more easier and user-friendly.
- In longwall short wall method which wall is along the X-axis is termed a long wall.
- Like that, the perpendicular room length is considered a short wall.
- Multiplying the measured length, breadth, and height, we can calculate the required volume of earth.
- Longwall short wall estimation formula-
- Length of long wall = It is parallel to x-axis which is (c/c distance + width of item)
- Length of short wall = It is parallel to y-axis which is (c/c distance – width of item)
- How to Find House Construction Cost
- How to Reduce Construction Cost (Tips)
- All About Tendering | What Is Tendering | What Is a Tender in Construction | Tendering Meaning in Construction
- Top-Down Construction | What Is a Top-Down Construction | Advantages & Disadvantages of Top-Down Construction
- 20 Vastu Tips Before House Construction | Vastu Tips for Different Locations of House | Scientific Facts of Vastu Location of Rooms
Example of Long Wall & Short Wall Method
Let us consider a building plan of 5m x 3.5m with a width of 0.3 m.
Calculation of Long Wall & Short Wall
Long Wall with Outer to Outer Distance = [Room Length + (2 X Thickness of Wall)]
- Longwall with outer to outer distance = [5 + (2 x 0.3)]
- Longwall with outer to outer distance = 5.60 m
Short Wall with Inner to Inner Distance = [Room Length]
- Short wall with inner-to-inner distance = 3.5 m
Total Length of Long Wall = 2 X Outer to Outer Length.
- Total length of long wall = 2 x [inner to inner length + 2 x (width / 2)]
- Total length of long wall = 2 x [5 + 2 x (1.2 / 2)]
- Total length of long wall =12.4 m
Total Length of Short Wall = 2 X [Inner to Inner Length – 2 X (Width / 2)]
- Total length of short wall = 2 x [3.5 – 2 x (1.2 / 2)]
- Total length of short wall = 4.6 m
Total Length of Long Wall and Short Wall = Total Length of Long Wall + Total Length of Short Wall
- Total length of long wall and short wall = (12.4 + 4.6) m
- Total length of long wall and short wall = 17 m
Total Volume of Earthwork = Total Length X Breadth X Height
- Assumed breadth of foundation = 1.2 m
- And height of foundation = 0.7 m
- Total volume of earthwork = (17 x 1.2 x 0.7) m3
Total Volume of Earthwork = 14.28 m3