Introduction of Pier and Beam Foundation
- The foundation plays important role in the construction of the building. The strength of the structure depends on how the foundation of the building is constructed.
- In the olden days Pier and beam foundation is widely used in the construction of these structures because of its economy.
- In this article, you will get to know about the Pier and Beam Foundation, Advantages and Disadvantages of Pier and Beam foundation.
What Is Pier and Beam Foundation?
- The Pier and beam foundation is a large diameter cylindrical column which is constructed to support the superstructure and transfer the total load into the underground strata.
- The Pier and beam foundation is also referred to as the footings which are the columns that are constructed to hold this structure.
- The beams are connected with the piers to transfer the load into the ground. It is a common type of foundation which is widely used for the construction of residential buildings.
- A pier and beam foundation which includes the three main elements such as concrete piers that anchor the house foundation to the ground.
- The second is the posts or piles that run between the piers and the horizontal beams and the third is the wooden beams that support the weight of the house.
- Pier and beam house Foundation is constructed to support the structure. Post and beam foundations are also known as post and beam foundations which help to elevate homes to protect the structures from flooding and moisture.
Advantages of Pier and Beam Foundations:
The various advantages of a pier and beam foundation are as follows
- Pier and beam foundations are constructed to elevate the structures which will help to protect from Moisture and flooding.
- There is a high crawl space available to install the Plumbing and Electrical
- Pier Foundation provides Termite control because the house is constructed above a sufficient height from the ground.
- The cost of Pier and Beam Foundation repair is comparatively low as compared to other types of foundation.
- Pier and beam foundation can be constructed on any type of land.
Disadvantages of Beam and Pier Foundation:
There are also some disadvantages of the construction of pier and beam foundation which are as follows
- If the foundation of the structure is not properly ventilated there may be chances of development of dampness.
- There are many problems are faced by the builders during the Maintenance and repair of the pier and beam foundation if the crawl space is too low.
- If the pier and beam foundation is not constructed properly it is difficult to construct flooring.
Also, Read: What Is Bridge Pier | Type of Bridge Pier
Pier and Beam Foundation Design:
- Pier and beam foundations are constructed to transfer the total superimposed load through the unsuitable bearing strata into the firm layer of the soil.
- Pier and Beam foundation spacing is determined on economic considerations which are depend upon the depth of the piers and the sub soil conditions.
- The construction of Pier and Beam foundation has various advantages and different types of foundations are generally constructed in areas with dry soil.
- The post and pier foundation spacing is generally kept 8 to 10 feet distance for the foundation piers in order to support the structures.
How to Build a Post and Pier Foundation:
- The pier and beam foundation can be constructed on land which is not levelled. To construct other types of foundation it is necessary to construct level ground for the construction of the building.
- The foundation of the building should be properly ventilated to avoid the problems of fungi growth.
- The crawl space under the foundation should be sufficient so that there should not be difficulty faced by the builders during the Maintenance and repair of the Building.
- The piers are constructed in brick and mass concrete for the reinforced concrete. During the construction of the pier and beam foundation the crawlspace is provided which is used in the installation of the plumbing and electrical wirings.
- The beams which are provided on the top of the piers are made from precast concrete.
Pier and Beam Foundation Cost Per Square Foot:
- The construction of the pier and beam foundation is economical as compared to another type of foundations.
- The cost of pier and beam Foundation depends upon the number of piers is needed as per the design given by the engineer.
- The cost of pier and beam foundation generally ranges from Rs 300 to 350 per square foot.
Pier and Beam Vs Slab:
This is necessary that a good foundation should be constructed for the Building. The difference between pier and beam foundation and the concrete slab is as follows
- Concrete slab foundations are widely used in warm climates where the ground is less likely to freeze which may develop cracks in the foundation of the structure.
- The pier and beam foundations are very easy to construct and repair as compared to other types of foundations.
- In the case of slab foundations, there are fewer chances of damages due to flooding because of crawl space into the house.
- Pier and beam Foundation elevates structure to protect it from the damages of flooding and moisture.
- Concrete slab Foundation is economical as compared to the pier and beam foundation.
- Pier and beam Foundation provides extra insulation from the air which will help you to save the energy cost and keep the place cool.
House Leveling Pier and Beam:
- Levelling is one of the most important processes which should be done before starting the construction of this structure.
- Levelling of the house is the process in which the ground or the site on which the structure is to be constructed is labeled horizontally before starting the construction of the structure.
How Many Pier Blocks for Shed Foundation?
- The Shed Pier foundation is a permanent type of foundation which consists of a series of concrete blocks which are laid directly on the ground.
- The tops of these blocks are levelled properly to support the main floor beams of the sheds.