Introduction to Refractory Concrete:
The Innovation in the construction material, including heat-resistant concrete, is increasing day by day.
There are various types of concrete are manufactured for various purposes in the construction Industry.
Refractory concrete is one of the special types of concrete which is generally used for the construction of structures that are subjected to extreme temperatures.
Normal concrete cannot withstand at a high temperature and it may disintegrate and collapsed.
Here, In this article, we will be discussing about Refractory Concrete and its Applications and Properties, Advantages and disadvantages of Refractory Concrete.
What Is Refractory Concrete?
Refractory concrete, often referred to as refractory concrete, is a special type of concrete which has a property of handling high temperatures.
Refractory concrete is also known as heat-resistant concrete.
The main and primary ingredient, often referred to as refractory cement, which is used for the manufacturing of refractory concrete is high alumina cement or calcium aluminate cement.
Many often wonder, ‘What is refractory cement used for?‘ and the answer lies in its heat-resistant properties.
Refractory concrete adopted when the structure has to be subjected to very high temperatures and it is not possible to use conventional concrete because it may suffer to complete loss of Mechanical properties and physical integrity.
Refractory concrete is used in the construction of the chimneys in the buildings because the chimneys are subjected to a high temperature so that it is necessary to use fire resistance concrete in its construction.
Also, Read: What Is Mass Concrete?
Properties of Refractory Concrete
The properties, or the refractory concrete meaning, are as follows.
- The Refractory concrete has good compressive strength.
- Refractory concrete can withstand at extreme temperatures without any disintegration.
- Refractory Concrete also has good Tensile strength.
- It also has a very less amount of shrinkage as compared to conventional concrete.
- The specific gravity of refractory concrete ranges between 0 to 3.0.
- The amount of heat of hydration in the refractory concrete is less.
Reinforcement in Refractory Concrete:
Proper care should be taken while applying the Steel bar in refractory concrete, especially when considering the refractory cement mix ratio, because the refractory concrete is exposed to extremely high temperatures.
Also, Read: What Is Underwater Concrete?
Application of Refractory Concrete
The application of refractory concrete, including the use of refractory concrete bricks and refractory slab, is as follows.”
- The construction of the chimneys is done with the help of refractory concrete.
- Refractory concrete is also used in the construction of launching pad and station required for a rocket.
- The application of refractory concrete also includes in the construction of fire training areas which consists of wide flat surface areas with fire-resistant rooms.
- Refractory concrete is generally used in the construction of the runway pavements and the concrete pavements which are subjected to high temperatures.
- The refractory concrete is also used for the construction of the nuclear reactor which is subjected to high temperature.
Also, Read: What Is a Concrete Vibrator?
Advantages of Refractory Concrete
There are various advantages of refractory concrete, which is often made using cement refractory, as follows.
- Refractory concrete does not warp during the process of drying and firing.
- Refractory concrete has good compressive strength.
- Refractory concrete is strong and long-lasting.
- Refractory concrete in a world to which stands at extremely high temperatures.
- It can be moulded into any desired shape.
Also, Read: Concrete Release Agent
Disadvantages of Refractory Concrete
There are also some disadvantages of refractory concrete are as follows.
- Refractory concrete may cause harm to the environment as well as human beings.
- The particles of the refractory concrete may cause harm to the human body.
- The refractory concrete has good integrity and air tightness.
Also, Read: Deshuttering Time