What Do You Mean by Skeleton Frame?
- A skeleton frame is a framed structure often used for the construction of multi-storey buildings.
- It incorporates a network, or system, of columns and connecting beams which support the building’s interior floors and exterior walls and carries all loads to the foundations.
- There are different types of framed structure that are used in civil construction; among projects, among them, the most commonly used frame structure is a skeleton frame.
- In a Frame structure where a connection of columns and beams that support the civil structure is incorporated is known as Skeleton Frame.
- The materials used for the construction of Skeleton frames can timber, bamboo, steel and even concrete.
- The first time skeleton frame was used in construction was at the end of the 19th century and the start of the 20th After which skeleton frames was used the rapid construction of civil projects, buildings and skyscrapers.
- The use of Skeleton Frame helped us in constructing interior floor layouts which can be free of immovable walls.
- This lead to the development of using different materials for the construction of facades and giving them more flexible spaces.
- Using of a Skeleton Frame had lead to reducing the importance of masonry in civil construction. Masonry, which was used as a structural element, has taken a decorative role due to the use of Skeleton frame.
What Is Building Skeleton?
- A building skeleton is a steel frame that is built to support a large skyscraper or building.
- A building skeleton is made out of metal beams forming vertical columns crossed with steel girders for stability.
- Building skeleton structures are formed by riveting together steel support beams and girders. The new floor is signalled where horizontal beam meats the vertical columns.
- Using building skeleton in constructions gives you more advantages and benefits than ordinary constructions.
What Is Steel Structure Building?
- There are many types of structural techniques used when the construction of a building. When vertical sheet columns and horizontal I-beams of Steel are used as skeleton frames, the building is known as steel structure building.
- These columns and beams support the floors and transfer the weight of the whole building to its foundation.
- The development of steel structure building technique from the early 19th century to the late 20th century made the construction of the tall building and skyscraper possible.
- The most common material used for steel structure building construction is a type of steel called mild steel. Mild steel which is used as the material is solid due to its chemical composition.
- The important feature of steel structure building is its flexibility because of the use of mild steel.
- Mild steel can bend without cracking due to its molecular arrangements, which is another great advantage, as a steel structure building can flex when heavy force is applied to one side of the building due to wind or an earthquake.
What Is Steel Frame Construction?
- Steel frame construction is a durable and reliable method of construction which is used in many civil construction projects.
- Steel frame construction is a very cost-effective and sustainable option for low-rise, mid-rise and high-rise building projects.
- In a building frame system where the vertical and horizontal structural elements are formed by a system of structural steel beams and columns is referred to as Steel Frame Construction.
- Steel frame construction is typically designed, fabricated and erected in accordance with standards developed by the American Institute of steel construction in the United States and the Canadian Standards Association in Canada.
Use of Steel Frame Structures
- High rise buildings because of its strength, low weight, and speed of construction.
- Public buildings and Malls because of their ability to create large span spaces at low cost.
- Warehouse buildings because of its strength and its ability to create large span spaces.
- Residential buildings due to a technique called light gauge steel construction.
Types of Steel Building Construction
Steel building construction has various types which are used in appropriate construction requirements. Steel fabrication is another term of steel construction.
- Conventional Steel Fabrication.
- Bolted Steel Fabrication.
- Light Gauge Steel Construction.
What Is Steel Beam Construction?
- Steel beam construction is the type of construction where steel beams are used for the construction of roof structures and house frames, to secure the structure from harsh weather conditions.
- A popular and versatile construction material which is used in steel beam construction is Mild Steel.
- Constructions of skyscrapers and high rise buildings have been possible due to its strong, flexible and durable nature.
- Structural steel which is an important component in steel beam construction, is meant for supporting heavy loads.
- This steel product comes in various shapes and sizes from small pieces to large sheets and is used as per the requirement of the civil structure.
Advantages of Steel Beam Construction
- Structural steel that is used in Steel Beam Constructions is recyclable, unlike many other construction materials.
- Structural steel used in making steel beams has a high strength to weight ratio, making it quite durable.
- Structural steel that is used in Steel Beam Constructions has high life expectancy than construction material such as wood because wood is likely to get rotten faster.
- The chemical composition of steel beams used in Steel Beam Constructions makes them resistant to corrosion. It prevents them from causing internal damage that may otherwise affect the durability of the structure.
Advantages of Steel Frame
- Structural steel components that are used in steel frames are lighter, stronger and have more tensile strength than wood, bamboo or concrete products.
- Steel frame construction far stronger and more durable than traditional wood frame alternatives due to their molecular properties and arrangements.
- Steel studs that are used in steel frames are available in a variety of sizes and can be fabricated order. This means the steel studs can be cut, bolted and welded to bear the required loads in buildings of all different types and sizes.
- Steel frame constructions are highly resistant to fire, because of the steel components which are made up of metal, which reduces the fire risk to a civil structure and stops the spread of a fire.
- Special flame retardant coatings can be applied over the steel frames to increase fire resistance property of structural steel.
- Mild steel parts that are used in steel frames are immune to the degrading effects of insects and mammals that tend to burrow or dug in the structures, which cause a problem for the wooden framework.
Disadvantages of Steel Frame
- Steel components that are used in steel frames are not known for its warmth, due to its high efficiency in conducting heat.
- One of the benefits of using bamboo or wooden frames and structural components is that their ability to adjust them on site like cutting them down to size, nails hammered in them to strengthen the join and so on.
- This obviously can’t happen with steel that is used in steel frames.
- Steel components used in steel frames are an alloy of iron which makes them susceptible to corrosion.
- Steel components used in steel frames have high maintenance costs because, in order to prevent them from corrosion and structural damage to the structure, painting is done on the steel surface after a certain interval of time.