Instruction of Soffits and Fascia
- The Soffits and fascia play a vital role in the exterior of the structure. Many people don’t give importance to the soffit and fascia which runs along with the tails at the age of the roof.
- These are the Architectural Elements that are very helpful to protect the home from a variety of pests. Soffits and fascia are important elements that help to prevent the entry of moisture into the house rafters.
- Soffits and fascia are both used for protecting your house as well as gives the same Structure aesthetical look.
- In this article, you will get to know what is soffit and fascia construction.
What Is Soffit?
- The word Soffit derives from the French word which means something which is installed underneath. The soffit plays a crucial role because it has venting which helps to keep a steady airflow between the roof and attic.
- A soffit is a portion of the ceiling that is built lower than the area around it. The soffit is the underlying material that is attached to the exposed overhang of the roof of the structure.
- Soffits are mostly used for decorative purposes in the room. The soffits are also used to bridge the gap between the siding of the house and the outer edge of the roof of the structure.
- Soffits are also used to conceal the plumbing pipes and the heating or cooling ducts.
- Soffit installation is very important because it helps to protect the building from the entry of moisture and other weathering effects. Soffit creates a barrier to prevent the entry of small insects.
- Soffit consists of a series of vents that serve as the air intake for ventilation. Soffits can be easily seen from the bottom side of the roof.
Different Types of Soffit
The Soffits are made up of different materials that possess various properties and Benefits
- Wooden Soffit
- Steel Soffit
- Fibre Cement Soffit
- Vinyl Soffit
- Aluminium Soffit
- UPVC Soffit
#1. Wooden Soffit
- Wooden soffits come in different types of Shades which look very grand. Wooden soffits are suitable for any type of environment and it can be also recycled.
#2. Steel Soffit
- Steel Soffits seats are available in various types of colours. Steel Soffits are energy efficient which saves the cost for ventilation of the house.
#3. Fibre Cement Soffit
- The Fibre cement Soffits are not commonly used but it is beneficial to use because it is Economical as compared to other Soffits materials.
- Fibre cement Soffits are lightweight and have excellent weather-resistant properties. It comes in different types of colours and styles.
#4. Vinyl Soffit
- Vinyl Soffits are affordable and protect against moisture, rotting, cracking, and chipping. It is one of the best insulating materials and water-resistant.
#5. Aluminium Soffit
- Aluminium soffits are dust resistant and very easy to clean. It protects against moisture and is opposed to the high flames and fumes.
- The Aluminium Soffits required very little maintenance and very easy to install. Aluminium soffits are not widely used in the house but it is very easy to clean and required less maintenance.
#6. UPVC Soffit
- The UPVC soffit stands for unplasticized polyvinyl chloride Soffits which are water-resistant and crack resistant. There are three types of UPVC Soffits which are solid, vented, and hollow.
- The most commonly used type of Soffit is solid which is cost-effective and easy to install.
Maintenance of soffits
What Is Fascia?
- Fascia is the area of siding directly about the soffit. Fascia is a long straight board along the lower edge of the roof. It is very important because it is visible to everyone.
- The fascia board is the one that is mounted at the point where the roof meets the outer wall of the structure. Fascia provides the point for the gutters and drains pipes. Fascia must be properly installed beneath the roofline.
- Fascia helps to protect the ends of the rafters and prevent the entry of moisture. Fascia is the horizontal board that runs around the edge of the roof of a building.
- Fascia closes the gap between the walls and roof by hanging over the walls of the building. The fascia is made up of different materials like wooden fascia, UPVC fascia, and aluminium fascia.
Advantages of Fascia and Soffits
There are various benefits of installing fascia and Soffits are as follows
- They protect the structure from any type of Structural damage.
- This helps to make the structure comfortable, safe, and condensation-free.
- They add value to the house and increase the beauty of the structure.
- Soffits and fascia help to resist the entry of moisture.
Disadvantages of Fascia and Soffits
The disadvantages of the fascia and Soffits are as follows
- The Installation process of soffit and fascia is time-consuming.
- It requires regular maintenance.
- The Soffits may be brittle due to constantly exposed to the sunlight.
How Do You Install Soffit and Fascia?
The procedure of the soffit installation are as follows
- Determination of Soffit Area
- Preparation of the Area
- Installation of the Receiving Channels
- Cutting of the Soffit Panels
- Installation of the Soffit
#1. Determination of Soffit Area
#2. Preparation of the Area
Check and prepare the surface to make it straight and uniform. The existing trim and dust are removed.
#3. Installation of the Receiving Channels
#4. Cutting of the Soffit Panels
The soffit panels must be cut into the appropriate length. First upon measure the wall to the fascia and subtract half an inch. Cut the panels into the required Size.
#5. Installation of the Soffit
The soffit and fascia are properly installed and the rainwater system is also installed. The channels of the Soffit should be installed such that it will form a 90-degree angle with the wall.
After the installation of all panels, the final finish is given.