Introduction of Space Structure:
In the last few decades, space frame structures gain more importance.
What is a space frame? It is a rigid and lightweight spaceframe structure.
which is constructed from the interlocking struts in the different geometric patterns.
In this article, you will get to know about the space frame details and space frame examples.
The space frame structures are light in weight because the material which is used in the space frame structure is distributed especially in such a way that the total load transfer mechanism is primarily axial, compression or tension.
Space frames were independently developed by Alexander Graham Bell.
Space frame structures have very little deflection and consistent higher compressive as well as tensile loads.
The main purpose of using space frame structures to cover the large span area and giving a pleasant experience to the structure.
The space frame building examples include its wide use in the construction of Airports, stadiums, exhibition halls, swimming pools, and Towers, etc.
Space frame structures have an ability to resist and redistribute the total concentrated load all over the structure.
The different types of services like lightning and Air conditioning can be easily accommodated in the space in the space frame structure.
Space frame structures are three-dimensional structures which have different types of members and connections.
The most common type of members and connections are double layer grids which have steel pipe sections.
Space frame section structures are designed using a rigid matrix.
The space frame structure is a three-dimensional structure which is assembled in linear elements which are arranged to transfer the load.
The Steel material is for the space frame structure to sustain more load.
Due to the 3D dimensional behavior, the space frame structures are usually stiff and it can sustain with heavily concentrated loading.
Triple layer grid space frame and single layer space frame systems are types of indeterminate structures.
What Is Space Frame?
In architecture and structural engineering, a space frame (3D truss) is a rigid, lightweight, truss-like structure constructed from interlocking struts in a geometric pattern.
Space frames can be used to span large areas with few interior supports.
The strength of a space frame structure is due to the inherent stiffness of the triangle and flexing loads that are transmitted along the length of each strut in the form of tension and compression loads.
Components of Space Frame System.
There are various components of space frame structures which mainly consists of linear action members and node connectors.
The linear fractional members are mainly circular and rectangular The tube or pipe sections are used in the space frame system because it can be easily assembled with the help of node connectors.
The node connectors are widely used for the connect one of the different joints of the members.
Simple prefabricated units of space frame structure of standard size and shapes are available in the market.
Advantages of Space Frame Structure.
There are various Advantages of a space frame structure which are as follows
- Space frame structures are lightweight.
- The space frame structure is sufficiently stiff.
- It is very easy to install the space frame structures because of its prefabricated component parts.
- Space frame structures have excellent duration to depth ratio.
- Space frame structures are very easy to transport and handle.
- This type of structures provides good cambering facilities.
- Space frame structures have excellent acoustic properties.
- It does not require purlins.
- It is more suitable for the structures which have irregular plan shape and site.
- Also, suitable for a structure that has a larger span.
- It provides a column-free explicit term.
- This structure eliminates the need for geometric stability, providing a mid-column.
- It provides a large spawn at low altitudes.
- It provides minimum deflection.
- It provides low transportation costs.
Disadvantages of Space Frame Structure.
The disadvantages of space frame structures are as follows
- The construction of the space frame structure is restricted to the 40 ft when the reinforced concrete is used.
- Space frames which are span in three-dimensional plate structure which are based on the rigidity of the triangle and composed of linear elements generally subject only to axial tension or compression.
- Even though there are some connections which are comparatively rigid joints due to the influence of bending or torsional moment is insignificant.
Useful Article for You
- What Is Composite Wood
- What Is the Difference Between a Shower Pan and a Shower Base?
- What Is a Window Panel
- What Is Rebar Made Of
- What Is Crane
- What Is a Frame Structure
- What Is the Measurement for a Queen Size Bed
- What Is Considered Livable Space
- What Is One Way You Can Save Electricity?
- What Is Mdf Mean
- What Is a Bundle of Shingles
- What Is a Gallon of Water Weigh
- What Is Window Sash
- What Is a Sieve Analysis
- What Is the Little Black Diamond on a Tape Measure
- What Is the Difference Between a Bolt and a Screw?
- What Is Overhang
- What Is a Contour Interval
- What Is a Spread Footing
- What Is a Pitched Roof
- What Is Tile
- What Is a Covered Porch Called
- What Is the Strongest Metal
Types of Space Frame.
There are different types of space frames classified into different types
- Curvature Classification:
- Space Plane Covers:
- Barrel Vaults:
- Spherical Domes:
- Classification by Arrangements of Its Elements:
- Single Layer Grid:
- Double Layer Grid:
- Triple Layer Grid:
1. Curvature Classification:
1.a. Space Plane Covers
Spatial structures mainly composed of planar Sub-structures.
1.b. Barrel Vaults
This type has a cross-section of a simple arch.
It is usually required the use of tetrahedral modules or pyramids as a part of its unit.
1.c. Spherical Domes
Usually requires the use of tetrahedral modules or pyramids and additional support from a skin.
2. Classification by Arrangements of Its Elements
2.a. Single Layer Grid
All Elements are placed on the surface approximately.
2.b. Double Layer Grid
This type of frames is commonly used in the space frame.
Elements are organized in two parallel layers with each other at a certain distance apart.
The diagonals bars connecting the nodes of both layers are in different directions.
2.c. Triple Layer Grid
These frames are placed in three parallel lines are linked by the diagonals.
Also, Read: Kanis Method
Useful Article for You
- Types of Cranes
- Types of Shovels
- Dry Pack Mortar
- Zero Force Members
- What Is Pad Foundation
- Hempcrete Vs Concrete
- What Is a Contour Interval
- How to Build a Shower Pan
- Bitumen Road Layers Thickness
- How Much Is a Yard of Concrete
- Queen Size Bed Dimensions in Feet
- What Is Pier and Beam Foundation
- How to Use Concrete Bonding Adhesive
- Isometric View
- How Much Does a Gallon on Water Weigh
- The Purpose of a Bridge
- Type of Table
- Is Garage Calculated in Square Footage
- Standard Toilet Water Line Size
- Types of Door Construction
- How Much Is a Yard of Concrete
- Lean to Roof
- Calculating Concrete Slab Thickness
- Types of Ceiling Vaults
Space Frame Structures Examples.
The space frame structure example is as follows
- Stansted Airport, by Foster Partners.
- Bank of China Tower and the Louvre Pyramid.
- Rogers Centre by Rod Robbie and Michael Allan
- McCormick Place East in Chicago.
- Arena das Dunas in Natal, Brazil by Populous
- Eden Project in Cornwall, England
- Globen, Sweden – Dome with a diameter of 110 m, (1989)
- Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport terminal 2.
Limitations of Space Frame Structure
Space Frame Structure has following limitations.
- Space frames are classified into three types conferring to the number of grid layers; Single, double, or triple layer.
- Space frame trusses can be used for platforms or overhead structures that span large distances without the need for internal load-bearing supports.
- Space can be made by frame connection; welding, bolting or threading
- Space frame construction uses three main methods of construction; Scaffolding Method, Block Assembly Method, Lift-up Method
- Space frames are beneficial by them as associated with other common structures; Lightweight, mass production, rigidity, and versatility.