What Is Vaulted Ceiling?
In the architectural or construction terms, when in a roof beneath and above on a wall, a self-supporting arch is constructed, then it is called a vaulted ceiling. In the construction, the vaulted ceiling traced for the first time in the Neolithic village in Crete, approximately seven thousand years ago, but it is constructed roughly.
After that, with times can be seen several countries, like the pantheon in Rome in the domed space and in the gothic cathedrals. In the construction, there are have been many styles of vaulted like rib, groin, barrel, fan, etc.
Types of Vaulted Ceiling
Here, the 11 different types of vaulted ceilings are as follows.
- Dome Vaulted Ceiling
- Elongated Dome Vaulted Ceiling
- Oval Dome Vaulted Ceiling
- Pitched Brick Vaulted Ceiling
- Cove Vaulted Ceiling
- Cloister Vaulted Ceiling
- Barrel Vaulted Ceiling
- Groin Vaulted Ceiling
- Rib Vaulted Ceiling
- Fan Vaulted Ceiling
- Igloo Vaulted Ceiling
1. Dome Vaulted Ceiling
If you want to dramatic effect on your dome ceiling without increasing the size, then you have to use crown molding. But the use of a dome ceiling increases the total cost of the structure, which is a disadvantage of the dome ceiling.
2. Elongated Dome Vaulted Ceiling
Elongated dome vaulted ceiling is a modified and longer version of dome vaulted ceiling. In this elongated dome ceiling, for example, you can paint various types of painting, like night sky-inspired painting, etc.
3. Oval Dome Vaulted Ceiling
The dome vaulted ceiling is one of the most popular ceilings in vault construction, but it was similar to the elongated vault ceiling. But the main difference between the two ceilings is the rafters that shape the dome where used fasten.
And another difference is elongated domes ties are used for elongated, and the oval-shaped instead is used for oval vault ceiling. The picture draws below the oval dome vaulted ceiling in the room, for it makes the room seem bigger.
4. Pitched Brick Vaulted Ceiling
If you want to provide an urban look to your roof, then you have to choose the pitched brick vaulted ceiling that is constructed using a tilted brick method. In the times B.C of Mesopotamian architecture, the pitched brick vault ceiling design was used.
5. Cove Vaulted Ceiling
In the vaulted ceiling construction, if you want to provide a soft look to your home space, then vaulted cove ceiling is the right option for your structure. The vaulted cove ceiling can provide your building with a standard or upscale look by rounding out the edges and corners of your ceiling.
6. Cloister Vaulted Ceiling
When structure ceilings are constructed with several spring points or spring lines, then it is called cloister vaulted ceilings. Where an arch begins to curve, that point is called spring point; on the same center points along a wall, all arching springs are constructed.
7. Barrel Vaulted Ceiling
A tunnel-like feel, in your space, the barrel-vaulted ceiling gives and is also referred to as a cradle vault, tunnel vault, or wagon vault. The barrel-vaulted ceiling is more of a barrel or a half tunnel that is connected as a series of domes with a smooth surface.
8. Groin Vaulted Ceiling
When two barrel-vaulted ceilings are intersected each other and create an angle of 90 degrees, that is called the groin-vaulted ceiling, and it is also referred to as cross vault ceiling. To create a sophisticated design and modern look of your room space, it draws the eye upward.
This type of design also gives your ceiling an eloquent and dramatic look. One of the most popular groin-vaulted ceilings is the brick groin-vaulted ceiling, that type of ceiling is an economical type of ceiling.
9. Rib Vaulted Ceiling
In gothic times the Rib vaulted ceiling gives more flexibility in engineering walls and roofs. Compared to another vaulted ceiling, the Rib vaulted ceiling is more flexible and stronger, and easy to construct.
The Rib vaulted ceiling gives thinner and tellers walls, and it also provides a most durable than other types of ceilings. For Gothic architecture, this makes them ideal, and on this cathedral ceiling, Rib vaulted ceiling provides an ultra-dramatic look.
10. Fan Vaulted Ceiling
If you want to give a different or unique look to your home space, then a vaulted fan ceiling is one of the best choices for your home space. The vaulted fan ceiling is constructed as a fan, or shell-shaped structure, that constructs a wall to a certain point of the wall, and also the fan type of structure is met at the middle of the vault.
For this above action, above your head, create a captivating piece of art, which also create your ceiling very beautiful. The fan-vaulted ceiling is one of the most expansive vaulted ceilings because, for this type of ceiling, experienced labor is needed, which can also increase the cost of the structure.
11. Igloo Vaulted Ceiling
In our country, the vaulted igloo ceiling is also known as another name that is the lunette vaulted ceiling. This type of vaulted ceiling can be created by covering the windows or other objects, and it also increases the beauty and also provide a piece to your eyes.
Advantage of Vaulted Type Ceiling
Here, the Pros of Vaulted Type Ceilings are as follows.
- The first advantage of a vaulted type ceiling is creating more visual space in your room because it creates eye upward in a room.
- For smaller floor plans, this visual space is beneficial because, in a large room, the vaulted ceiling can create an illusion.
- Another advantage of a vaulted ceiling is vaulted ceiling can serve as a design centerpiece.
- In this vaulted ceiling, few designers use it as a dining room, living room, or family room.
- The vaulted ceiling also provides more opportunities for natural light by providing extra surface area for opposing windows.
- But some homeowners can add skylight on the ceiling, which is an advantage of the vaulted ceiling.
- In the vaulted ceiling construction, if you want to provide a soft look to your home space, then a vaulted ceiling is the right option for your structure.
- The vaulted ceiling can provide your building with a standard or upscale look by rounding out the edges and corners of your ceiling.
- The last and most important advantage of the vaulted ceiling is this type of ceiling can easily be fit with most of the interior design of your home.
Disadvantage of Vaulted Type Ceilings
Here, the Cons of Vaulted Type Ceilings are as follows.
- The most important disadvantage of the vaulted ceiling is, for the exceptionally high ceilings, the vaulted ceiling can increase utility bills because the vaulted ceiling increases the volume of the room, and for this reason, the room’s heating and cooling energy are needed more.
- Another disadvantage of the vaulted ceiling is it can create in your room an illusion of space.
- If you want to dramatic effect on your home ceiling without increasing the size, then you have to use crown molding. But the use of a dome ceiling increases the total cost of the structure, which is a disadvantage of the vaulted ceiling.
- Another disadvantage of the vaulted ceiling is this type of vaulted ceiling is very difficult to maintain because there have different types of vaulted ceilings, and also there have different types of design.
Vaulted Ceiling Cost
The cost of the vaulted ceiling varies with the size of the room, but the common cost of the vaulted ceiling is between $18000 and $25000 in a 20 foot by 20-foot room, and the ceiling size varies 11 to 12 feet. But if you have a drywall ceiling, drop ceiling, or a flat ceiling, then dramatically, the cost of the vaulted ceiling won’t change.
So, with the types of the vaulted ceiling, the price varies.