Can You Attach Wood Fence Panels to Metal Posts?
People generally use wood fences or metal fences. Many prefer wood fences because they are ‘privacy fences’, they give you the privacy you need.
On the other hand, most metal fences used are chain-link, they are not preferable if you want privacy.
These two fences have the benefit of their own. The wooden fence gives you privacy and an aesthetic look.
And metal fences are best for their durability. Is there any possibility we can combine both of them? And get benefit from both of the materials?
Yes, the answer to the above questions is yes, we can combine them both and get both of their benefits.
How that is possible, you will know that further in this article.
Comparison Between the Metal Fence and Wood Fence
The most common problem with a wood fence is that it eventually rots. And this creates a huge problem in households.
As you just don’t build a fence often. Wood fence approximately lasts 15 to 20 yearsThe problem can be fixed by using pressure-treated fence posts but not for long though.
And many people don’t want to spend extra money on it.
On the other hand, metal posts are durable for longer periods.
The galvanized metal posts were approximately last for 70years.
So many people go for this rather than wood posts.
But they are not aesthetically pleasing and don’t give but of privacy to the people in the house.
So here is a solution for all, you can attach a wood fence panel to a metal post.
By doing that you get the benefit of both. You get the durability of metal posts and the privacy and aesthetic look of the wood fence.
Building a wood fence that attaches to a metal post is not much different from building a wood fence.
Although it is more expensive than the wood fence.
Because there is an additional cost of metal posts, screws and brackets get included in the cost of the wood fence.
Further, you are going to read how wood panels get attached to metal posts.
How to Attach Wood Fence Panels to Metal Posts?
Attaching a wood fence panel to the metal post is not very difficult. You just have to follow some steps properly.
Then it can be done easily. Below there are different ways to attach wood fence panels to metal posts are mentioned.
There are three ways to attach Wood fence panels to Metal posts:-
- Bracket and Screws
- Wood Sleeves
- Direct connection using screws
1. Bracket and Screws
The main way to attach wood panels to metal posts is by using brackets and Screws.
The type of post is used to determine which bracket will be used. For round posts and square posts, different shaped brackets are used.
There is a variety of brackets you can choose from. But you have to ensure that it goes with the type of post in your house.
All the brackets function the same despite their different shapes. It used to attach two things that aren’t attached by themselves.
So basically it works as a middle man which helps in attaching wood fence panels and metal posts.
Required for Attaching the Wood Fence Panel
Things required for attaching the wood fence panel to the metal post are
- Metal screws as well as wood screws. No matter what type of bracket you use you need both types of screws.
- Drill and metal bits to punch holes in the metal post.
- Pencil to mark the holes, so they can be placed in accurate places.
- Tape to help in lining up things properly. One of the important things is to align the fence panel and post in a line. Otherwise, it can wobble and will not last for a long time.
- Level to level the post and the panel and plumb to install brackets.
- Corrosion-resistant brackets and Screws as they will be used for outside. Otherwise, they will rust and will not be strong enough to support the fence panel.
- If it is possible one or two helpers, can hold the panel and the post in place and you can attach the brackets to it. Because doing this work by yourself can be hard.
- You should screw the bracket to the post first and then secure the panels. If you attach the brackets to the panel first, it will be difficult to slip them over the post.
Attaching Wood Fence Panels to Round Metal Posts
Round metal posts are the most popular metal fence post.
Because it is used with chain link fences.
By using this you get several bracket choices too.
Brackets Used Can Be Pipe Rail Ties
it is the most common wrap around the round metal post.
This screw can be inserted from both sides of the post and the wood panel The brackets get tightened around posts by using a bolt or screw or rail ties.
It will not wobble when the connection will be strong.
Other than brackets you can also use metal screws to attach fence panels directly to the post.
Round metal posts are hard to attach with a flat wooden piece.
To fix this problem you can buy a mounting block whose one side is rounded and the other side is flat.
Then you can attach the round side with the round metal post and the flat side to the wood fence panel.
Ensure that the radius of the inside of the block matches the radius of the post outside.
Attaching Wood Fence Panels to Square Metal Posts
- Attaching wood fence panel to square metal posts are easier than the round metal post. Square metal posts are flat so the flat wooden planks easily get attached to them.
- For this type of attachment brackets and screw or only screw works great.
- While attaching wood to metal, make sure that you use pre-drill holes and metal screws. It makes the work easier.
- You can also use self-tapping screws, they drill into the metal by themselves. They work best for metal penetration but they won’t go through the wood. So that will cause a problem.
- So it is best to use metal screws and pre-drill holes.
- There will be a variety of brackets to choose from. The range in different sizes, weights, strengths, etc. You have to select the screw size carefully otherwise the undersized ones will fall.
- When you pre-drill the holes the screws got placed in an accurate position.
- When you buy screws make sure to take accountability for the thickness of the wood.
- It is a common mistake people do.
- If the fence panel is 2 inches make sure you buy at least 3inches screws for that. So it can penetrate the metal properly.
Attaching T-Post and U-Channel
- T-Post and U-Channel are the almost same thing. The standard T-Post or U-Channel is studded or plain metal without any holes in it.
- If it is plain metal without holes then you get two choices. You can use metal screws and drill holes in your post or you can use a bracket for the post.
- These are generally used for temporary fencing and many used them to keep animals inside.
- It is not used for residential fencing much. As it is not aesthetically attractive, not strong enough, and is not permanent.
- They are not installed in concrete. They are generally installed in the dirt.
- They have flat ends which is a good thing as it makes the work easier. Make sure the end touches the base of the fence.
- Attaching to flat surfaces are easier than attaching one flat and one round surface.
- Wires can be used as it works well with both of the options.
- First punch holes and studs then you can use them to secure the wire tightly.
2. Wood Sleeves
Wrapping Metal posts with wood is one of the popular ways to attach a Wood fence panel to a galvanized metal post.
In this, the metal post is wrapped in wood. It gives the appearance of all wood fences with the strength of the metal.
So basically you will be benefitted from both materials. The wood conceals the metal.
You will get the aesthetic appeal of the wood and the strength and sturdiness of the metal. In this special mounting brackets are used.
It is used to post with the wood and conceal the metal post. These brackets have one flat side and one round side.
First, you have to screw the bracket onto the posts. Then you have to screw 4 planks of wood around the bracket.
It will form a box-like structure which is called a column wrap.
The column wraps are made without mounting the bracket.
After the column wrap is made you have to slide it over the metal post.
Then you have to screw through the wood as well as the metal post.
If you will only screw the wood it will not be sturdy. So for better strength, you have to screw the wood as well as the metal post inside.
Ensure that the surface area of the inside of the column wrap is just a little bit more than the total area of the metal post.
It is necessary so the metal post will tightly fit inside the wrap. Otherwise, the post can wobble inside the wrap.
You can also use shims to hold the wrap tight around the metal post.
Ensure that you use rot-resistant wood as it will be used outside. Otherwise, the wood will rot and you have to remove it.
The post wrap and the fence panel can be of different types of wood.
It is not necessary to choose the same types of wood for them. It depends on your taste.
Then you have to screw the fence panel with wood wrap and the metal within it.
3. Direct Connection Using Wire
A wood fence panel can be attached to a metal post by using wires.
It is one of a way to attach the wood fence and the metal post. It is a temporary solution as it is not durable like the bracket and screw method.
If want to attach the wood fence with the post for some time it is best for that.
But if you want something permanent it is not a good choice. For this method, you need wires, pliers, and wire cutters.
You can go for a tool with the two-in-one setting with pliers as well as wire cutters.
You have to use a wire which is corrosion resistant as it will be used outside. Otherwise, the wire would rust and you have to change it again.
A thick gauge of wire is an important requirement for this work.
The wire will be used to attach the wood fence and metal post directly.
So it has to be sturdy, otherwise, it will just snap. And all your hard work will go to vain.
For the best type of wire connection, you have to put wire at least every 18 inches up the post.
It will secure the connection between the wood fence and metal post properly.
Then you have to wrap the wire around the post and the panel properly.
You have to twist the wire carefully so that the wire gets tightly wrapped around the post and panel.
If it remains loose that will be a problem, as it will make the post wobble. You have to tighten the wire by twisting it several times.
Then you have to cut the excess wire. Then repeat this process 3 to 4 times for each of the holes in the panel and post.
There is not much space for the wire to Run through the panel or the post.
Then you have to make holes in it by yourself using a driller. Or you can mount a small bracket shaped like a U to run the wire through the post or panel.
Techniques to Secure the Attachment
How you attach your wood fence panels to the metal posts impact on how stable they are. And it also depends on how you secure your fence post.
There are two ways to secure a metal post. Either you secure your fence port in the dirt or concrete.
If the fence post is light in weight you can secure it in the dirt. But for a heavy fence port, you have to secure it in the concrete.
It also depends on the design of the fence. The chain link fence panel doesn’t need a stable post.
So you can use a light one and secure it into the dirt. Unlike solid fences, it does not catch the full force of the wind.
Solid fences prevent the wind to pass through it. The lateral forges get high in a storm. For this, you need a stable post.
If the post will not be stable then it will wobble around. For this, you have to secure the post in concrete.
You have put the galvanized post in at least a 2-foot deep hole. You have to set it properly.
Then you have to fill the hole with either concrete or dirt.
Ensure that it fits tightly into the hole and doesn’t wobble. In this case, it can cause a problem in the future.
Installing Metal Fence Posts as a Repair
Here, the point out of installing metal fence posts as repairs are as follows.
- When there is an existing wood fence with rotted posts, it can be repaired just by replacing the existing post with a new galvanized metal post.
- Steps to install a new metal post in place of the ruined post:-
- The first step is to dismantle the rotted post from the wood fence. You have to be extra careful during the dismantling process. As the wood fence will be used.
- To remove the rotted fence, you have to remove the concrete in-ground surrounding it. If there is no concrete then you have one less work to do.
- If there is concrete surrounding the metal post, you have to dig on either side of the concrete. Then you have to push the post back and forth so it can be easily removed.
- Then you have to remove the post from the concrete. It is best to take others’ help while removing the post as it is heavy and may cause you injury. The best thing is to use professional help. Skilled workers can do the work easily in less time.
- To remove the post from concrete you can use a lever, jack or fulcrum.
- When you successfully take the rotted post out of the ground, then you have to set the new post in its place.
- Use a tube to hold the concrete hole in its place, then you can set the metal post into the hole easily.
- Ensure that the new Metal post is truly aligned with the post. Otherwise, it will not be set in a straight line with the existing wood fence. And that will not give an aesthetic look.
- When the new post is placed properly in place of the rotted post. Then to have to pour concrete on it very carefully.
- After the concrete is set, you have to secure the wood fence panel to the new metal post.
Conclusion of Wood Fence Panels Method
Wood fence panels attached to a metal post are one of the popular fencing methods.
It is preferred by many people as it gives the benefit of two materials which are wood and metal.
Wood fences provide privacy and are also aesthetically pleasing to the eyes.
And the metal post is used for its strength and sturdiness. Above in the article, everything is mentioned regarding the attachment of the wood fence panel to the metal post.
Ways to attach wood to metal, securing Techniques, how to install metal posts as repair, etc.
Hope you get all the information you were looking for. And you can start attaching wood fence panels to the metal fence in front of your house.
You can also share this article with your friends, family, and colleagues who can get benefit from this. If you have any query to can ask.