What Is WPC Board?
WPC board is a highly durable and safe material used for construction purposes. It is a mixture of wood fiber/wood flour and thermoplastics. WPC boards are also prepared from inorganic fillers and plastic composites. Wood and plastic composite is also used as a strong, high-quality coating option.
WPC doors are used for floors, decks, rails, fences, landscaping, windows, doors, external or internal cladding, for the manufacture of door and window frames, for the preparation of strong and designed structures, mixing floor furniture, etc.
In the modern era, due to the advancement of technology and research every day, new materials are emerging in the construction industry, which is no exception. One of these materials in the construction industry is Wood Plastic Composite (WPC). It is an ecological material that is emerging as an alternative to natural wood and plywood.
It is a composite material that constitutes a waste of wood fibres and thermoplastics. They are mixed to form a base material that has a thick consistency. Then it is extruded and moulded to the different shapes and sizes needed.
Several different colours and additives can also be added to create materials with better specifications. There is a wide variety of uses and applications for WPC boards on outdoor deck floors, fences, door and window frames, and outdoor landscapes, and so on.
In percentage terms, it comprises 70% virgin polymer, 15% wood powder (fiber), and the remaining 15% additives.
It is available in a size of 2440 mm x 1220 mm (8 feet x 4 feet) with the thickness of the plates 5 mm (0.20 in.), 6 mm (0.24 in.), 7.5 mm (0.30 in.), 11 mm (0.43 in.), 12 mm (0.47 in.), 17 mm (0.67 in.) and 18 mm (0.71 in.).
Features of WPC Board
There are various features of the WPC board that are listed below:
- The look and feel are similar to that of natural wood. It requires less repair and maintenance, as it does not distort/fold or splinter into small pieces like natural
- It is highly resistant to moisture and, therefore, a highly durable material.
- It also has resistance to termites and fungi.
- It does not corrode easily and does not deteriorate or lose its constituents.
- Because it is composed of recycled plastic and wood waste, it is a sustainable and green material.
- There is a greater fixation of nails, screws, and fasteners when used with WPC compared to natural wood.
- It is gaining popularity as it avoids unnecessary logging and is made with waste in a very beneficial way to create improved building materials. One tree is saved for every ten WPC cards.
Also, read: MDF vs Plywood | What Is MDF | What Is Plywood
Disadvantages of WPC board
The disadvantages of the WPC board are as follows.
1. Chemical Properties
- It contains plastic polymer and wood fibres, so the deficiencies of both materials will be present in it.
- The resistance of WPC to extreme temperatures is low compared to wood.
- The cost of the WPC material is higher compared to the other materials used for the same purpose.
- Natural wood texture is lacking, due to the lack of natural wood feel when furniture or doors are made of this material.
- WPC consists of wood and plastic, so the deficiencies of both materials are also present in the WPC material.
- Its resistance to extreme temperatures is low compared to wood.
- The initial cost is high. The purchase costs of WPC decks are higher than wood but save on maintenance costs later, and the overall cost is not too high after long-term use.
3. Artificial Materials
- WPC decks are not 100% real wood.
- WPC board is composed of wood fibers and plastics but still has a realistic wood grain imitation effect.
- WPC board is not entirely maintenance-free.
- The WPC deck still needs to regularly remove leaves and other debris and wash them with soap and water.
- Heavier than wood compared to wood materials, composite materials of the same size are much heavier.
- WPC’s resistance to extreme temperatures is low compared to wood. If you place kitchenware directly on the WPC plates, it will cause a fusion impression if the temperature exceeds 70 ° C.
- The laser cutter cannot be used on WPC boards, as it burns the boards.
- It contains a plastic polymer and wood fibers so that the deficiency of both materials will be present in it
Application of WPC Board
1. Outdoor Decks
It is highly used on decks and outdoor patios. WPC manufacturers offer a variety of deck options, such as a solid deck, hollow deck, mosaic deck and
How the material is safe and durable; It is widely used for the preparation of fences for gardens and other purposes for outdoor fences.
This material is quite durable and, as it is available in a larger size, this allows the use of this material in internal and external panels.
4. Interior Areas
WPC boards are also used in the internal areas for making various items of furniture, such as wardrobes, kitchen cabinets, internal partitions, bathroom vanities, and also on the ceiling of the room.