What Is Hard Hat | Hard Hat Colour Definition | Different Hard Hat Colour Codes | Types of Safety Helmets | Classification of Hard Hats
What Is Hard Hat?
Hard hats are one of the most important and essential accessories which are widely used on construction sites all over the world.
Hard hats are designed in such a way that it will help to protect the head of the worker from any kind of injury. Construction sites are usually prone to various accidents which may cause huge damage to the workers.
In this article, you will get to know the hard hat colour meaning and the different types of Hard hat colour code used.
Hard Hat Colour Definition
A hard hat is defined as the helmet which is mainly used for safety purposes in the work environment such as industrial or construction sites to protect workmen from any kind of injury due to falling of objects and impact with objects, debris, and electric shock. It is also popularly known as a safety hat.
Also, read: What Is Self Compact Concrete | Equipment V-Funnel Test | Procedure V-Funnel Test. | Procedure for V-funnel flow time at T5 mm
Advantages of Hard Hats on the Construction Sites
- The hard hat is very essential to ensure the safety of the workmen working on the site.
- It helps to protect the head of workmen from injuries.
- Safety helmets help in the protection of the human brain.
- The hard hat makes the work environment safe and secure.
- The hard hat colour code helps to understand the responsibility of the person in a particular working area.
- This will help the supervisors and managers to easily identify the group of workers working on a specific site.
Types of Safety Helmets / Hard Hats
A safety helmet is also known as Hard hat or headgear which are made up of different types of materials and designed in such way that it should protect the workmen head not only from the impact but also from flying particles and electric shocks etc.
Some of the special types of hard hats and also come with welding mask are the special type of screen on the helmet which will protect the face of workmen.
Safety helmets are classified into two types
- Full brimmed type helmet
- Brimless with peak
Classification of Hard Hats
The hard hats are classified into mainly four classes
- Class A
- Class B
- Class C
- Class D
Also, read: West Point Bridge Designer
Class A- Limited Voltage Resistance for General Services
- Class A safety helmets are High Voltage resistance and had limited resistance for general services.
- This kind of hard hat provides impact and penetration resistance with voltage protection. It provides voltage protection up to 2200 volts.
- Class A helmet shells are water resistance and slow-burning.
- Class A safety helmets should have water absorption of the shell after 24 hours immersion test should not be more than 5%.
- Class A safety helmets should be tested up to 2.2 kV for a time period of 3 minutes with leakage currents. It should not exist 9 mA.
Class B-High Voltage Resistance
- Class B safety helmets provide the highest level of protection against the various electrical hazards and shocks and burn protection.
- Class B safety helmets should be water-resistant and slow-burning.
- Class B safety helmets also provide good protection from impact and penetration hazards by falling objects.
Class C- No Voltage Protection
- Class C safety helmets are also known as metallic helmets or bump cap.
- It is designed in such a way that it will use in areas with low head clearance.
- Classic C helmets are not designed to protect against falling objects or electrical hazards.
- Class C safety helmets are generally recommended for Areas where protection is needed from head bumps.
Class D-Protection for Fire Fighting
- Class D safety helmet is fire resistant and non-conductor of electricity.
- Class D safety helmets are specially designed for fire fighting.
- The water absorption of class D safety helmets should not be more than 5%.
Also, read: What Is Plaster | Type of Plaster | Defects In Plastering
Different Hard Hat Colour Codes
There are specific standard hard hat colour codes that are pre-defined for the safety helmet based on the nature of the work ok are the responsibility of the job on the particular site.
List of Hard Hat Colour Codes
Different types of Hard hat colour codes are as follows.
- White Hard Hat
- Yellow Hard Hat
- Blue Hard Hat
- Green Hard Hat
- Red Hard Hat
- Grey Hard Hat
- Brown Hard Hat
- Orange Hard Hat
- Pink Hard Hats
1. White Hard Hat
White hard hat colour is generally used by the site managers engineers for men for supervisors on the site.
2. Yellow Hard Hat
The yellow hard hat colour is generally used by the labours and earthmoving operators. A yellow hard hat is usually preferred for the workers who operate heavy machinery on the construction site.
3. Blue Hard Hat
The blue hard hat colour is generally used by the technical operators which include electricians. Blue hard hat is also used by the carpenters and interim workers and technical Advisors on the site.
4. Green Hard Hat
Green hard hats are used by the safety team and the safety inspector but it can also be used by the new workers on the site are the trainee staff. The green hard hat colour code is also preferred for new hires and trainees.
5. Red Hard Hat
A red hard hat is usually worn by the Fire Marshal and firefighters.
6. Grey Hard Hat
The grey hard hat is generally used by the visitors on site.
7. Brown Hard Hat
The Brown hard hats are used by the builders and the workers with high heat applications.
Orange Hard Hat
The orange hard hat has high visibility so that it is generally used for the workers in the road and highway Constructions.
8. Pink Hard Hat
The pink hard hat colour code is most popular in the case of the female workers in many construction sites the pink colour hard hat is used by the workers who forget their helmet at home.
It is very essential and important for the companies to provide a hard hat for their workers to ensure safety.
The safety helmet helps to run the working process smoothly and fast. It is also necessary to choose the best quality safety helmet which is made from high-quality materials.
The main purpose of using safety helmets is to protect from any falling object. If the safety elements are of not good quality then it will not help to protect workers.
So it is very necessary to choose the best quality safety helmet.
Like this post? Share it with your friends!
Suggested Read –
- Introduction of Gantry Girder | Load on Gantry Gutter | Types of Load on Gantry Gutter
- What Is Dry Pack Mortar | Advantages of Dry Pack Mortar | Disadvantages of Dry Pack Mortar
- What Is Unit Weight | What Is Density | What Is Unit Weight Material | Unit Weight Building Materials
- What Is Pier Foundation | Types of Drilled Piers | Advantages and Disadvantages of Drilled Pier Foundations
- What Is Diversion of Headworks (Rivers) | Types of Diversion Headworks | Component Parts of Diversion Headworks (Rivers)
Everything is explained step by step. I loved the examples used 🙂
Very insightful…… I am enthralled by such eye-opener, thanks and keep it up.
For hard hats, each color has its own meaning, such as the white helmets often seen on construction sites or the orange ones for road workers. However, we can guarantee that they are all used to protect people.