Which Cement is Best for House Construction is a common question to ask people who are thinking about constructing a new home themselves.
Yes, Nothing wrong in this question everyone. Must think about this question Which Cement is Best for House Construction.
The followings are two best types of cement for house construction.
1. Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC).
2. Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC).
There are two most common types of cement which are generally used in house construction:
Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC).
• OPC is popular and widely used for construction works from a very large time and it is the most popular choice for usage in every type of construction work. Some of the advantages of using OPC are-
• OPC (Ordinary Portland Cement) is one of the most popular construction building materials used all across the globe.
• This name ‘Portland’ was given by the British cement manufacturer Joseph Aspdin at 1824 because of its strong resemblance to Portland Stone, a type of white-grey limestone found at this isle of Portland, Dorset at England.
• Joseph Aspdin is also credited to have patented this first true artificial cement, which he named as the Portland cement.
• It attains the strength in less time.
• It is available in three grades: Grade 33, Grade 43, and Grade 53.
Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC).
• PPC has now become the first choice because of the use of pozzolanic materials that’s imparts better properties to the cement. The strength of this cement is equivalent to OPC 53 Grade cement. Some of the advantages of using PPC are-
• Portland-pozzolana cement (PPC) is produced by grinding together Portland cement clinker and artificial pozzolana (Fly ash) with this addition of gypsum or calcium sulfate.
• Fly ash is a very fine material produced as a residue precipitated electro-statically or mechanically from the exhaust gases of a coal-fired thermal power station.
• Generally, 15-25% fly ash is mixed and ground together with 65-75% Portland clinker and 3-6% gypsum
• It is cheaper than the OPC.
• Better resistance against chemicals.
• It facilitates better workability.
Different Types of Cement and Use
|Masonary cement||Inert materials like dolomite lime-stones, gypsum, air-entraining agent are mixed with clinkers of portland cement. Concrete is workable, possess, fattiness, cohesiveness, plasticity. It tetains mixing water than comes in contract with dry bricks. Not suitable for works other than masonary work.||Specially prepared for masonry work|
|Oil well cement||It should capable of being pumped for 3 hours under high pressure and temperature, It sets slowly and hardens quickly.||Filling space between steel& liming and well of well|
|Ordinary Portland cement||Fineness - Residue ≯ 10% when sieved on IS No 9 soundness - Expansion ≯ 10 mm, Compressive quickly|
3 days ≮ 160 kg/cm2
7 days ≮ 220 kg/cm2
Initial ≮ 30 min
Final ≯ 10 hours
|All types of ordinary construction works|
|Pozzolanic cement||20 to 40% pozzolana are mixed with 60 to 80% Portland cement while grinding. Volcanic ash, pumice, or powered burnt brick can be used as pozzolana Produces less heat of hydration resists sulphate action, developes strength slowly, imparts water githtness, more workability and plastically, possess high strength, cheap.||Mass concrete construction in costal areas sewage works contruction below ground|
|Quick setting cement||Sets in 5 minutes and gets hard in 30 minutes. Fine grinding after adding a small percentage of aluminum sulfate. The percentage of gypsum and retarders are reduced.||Construction under running or stable water|
|Rapid Hardening cement||High strength is achieved earlier due to a higher degree of fineness in grinding, clinkering at high temperature 7 days, and 28 days strength of ordinary concrete is obtained in 3 days and 7 days only Not suitable for mass concrete.||Concrete in cold weather climate, early removal of forms, speed in construction, early use of structure|
|Sulphate resistant cement||The proportion of C3A is reduced and C2S is increased Hardness is slow, a longer period of curing.||Culverts, canal siphon canal lining in alkaline soil|
|Super Sulphate cement||80 to 85% wellgranulated slag are moxed with 10 to 15% calcium sulphate and 1 to 2% protland cement. Mir is finely ground.Low heat of hydration hence suitable for mass concrete.lt should NOT be mixed with ordinary portland cement, or High alu- mina a cement. Resistive to chemical attack cement expands when used underwater and shrinks when cured in air. Forms good bond with set concrete.||Suitable for all purpose mass concrete places where chemical attck is suspected.|
|Water Proof cement||Calcium sterate. Aluminium sterate and gypsum treated tannic acid are added to ordinary portland cement while grinding. Resistive to water penetration Resistive to corrosive action of acid and alkalies.||Tanks, reservoirs drams, bridge piers swimming pools|
|White cement||Percentage of Iron Oxide reduced to 1% to avoid greyish colour oil is used as fued. Chalks and lime stones having low iron content and white clay are used as raw materials strength less than ordinary concrete. High cosot||Production of light coloured cements floor finish, plaster work, ornamental works, precast concrete blocks|
|Acid Resistance cement||Quartz, Quartzites are used as aggregates + Soluble glass for increasing resistance against acid and to act as binding material||Chemical industries, Acid resistant, Heat resistant|
|Air entraining against - oils, fatty acids, dorex resin mixed during during grinding. Strength reduced lay 10 to 15%, workable, plastic, resists froest action.||Concrete roads in cold regions frost resistance|
|Blast furnace slag cement||Granulated blast furnace slag mixed while grinding workable plastic, resistive to dampness,|
sulphate action, corrosive effect less heat of hydration economical not suitable for cold weather.
|Prefabricated RCC units Alkaline soil, mass, concrete marine works underground works|
|Coloured cement||Raw materials - china clay, pure lime. White cement is used to light colour|
Colour - Pigment
Black - Carbons
Green - Chromium dioxide
Blue - Cobalt
Black. Brown - Iron Oxide
Brown, Black - Manganese oxide
|Floor finish artificial marble stair treads windows sills.|
|Expanding cement||Sulphate Aluminates and stabili- zing agents are added to ordinary cement. This cement expands while hardening.||Water retaining structures problems ofleakages requirements|
|High Aluminum cement||Obtained by calcinating lime stone and Bouxite. Resists chemical effect high, temperature, corrosive actionon acid, sea water, evolves head during setting. Higher initial setting time and lower final setting time. Compressive strength double than ordinary cement, should not come in contact with lime or ordinary cement.||Frost regions, sea water, refractory and heat resistant. Concrete concreting, against internal water flow, high early strength.|
|Extra Rapid hardening cement||20% calcium chloride ground with Rapid hardening cement, strength - 25% higher then Rapid harding more shrinkages||When very high early strength is required cold weather concreting and Early removal of Form work.|
|High strength ordinary cement||Higher Compressive strength||Pre cast and pre stressed units. Indian railways.|
|Hydrophobic cement||Obtained by grinding naptha, acidol, soap with cement clinkers formation of thin films on grains of concrete can be stored for longer period.||Cold and frost forming weather|
|Low Heat cement||Percentages of C3A and C3S are reduced and C2S and C4AF are increased. Less compressive strength. Greater sulphate resist- ance.Delay in construction speed not suitable for ordinary works.||Mass concrete works resistive to sulphate action .|
Best Cement in India 2020 or Top 10 Cement in India
The following are the best cement in India 2019-20. This are the top 10 cement in India nowadays.