Introduction of Brick Bat Coba
We spent a lot of money on the interior and the exterior view of our home. But many people don’t spend money on the waterproofing of their home due to which they face the problems of leakages in the rainy season.
Water is one of the biggest enemies of the Buildings. It is very important to protect our home from the leakages in the rainy season.
Leakage is one of the most common problems which is found in many buildings. Leakage causes the deterioration of the concrete and corrosion of the reinforcement.
A small leakage in the structure can cause great damage to the structure and develop cracks in the structures. There are many methods which are used for the waterproofing of the RCC slabs and balconies to prevent the entry of moisture in the structure.
In this article, you will get to know all about the Brick Coba waterproofing and the step by step procedure of brick Coba, its Advantages and disadvantages.
What Is Coba In Civil?
What Is a Brick Bat Coba?
Brick Bat Coba Waterproofing is a traditional method which is used for the waterproofing of the structures. Brick Coba is the oldest method of waterproofing to the structures which includes the laying of Brocken bricks on the flat surface of the concrete and grout it with a waterproofing compound with the proper slope to drain off the rainwater.
It is a traditional method which is used by the ancient people in which they use the broken bricks in the slab by which it absorbs the excess moisture and prevents the entry of moisture.
Purpose of Brick Bat Coba Waterproofing
Brickbat Coba waterproofing is one of the most effective and oldest waterproofing methods which is widely used in the buildings to make the slabs waterproof.
- To prevent the entry of moisture in the structures.
- It will help to maintain the temperature in the structure.
- Brickbat Coba also helps to protect the building from the leakages.
- It will help to protect from the heat and keep the structure cool in summer.
Procedure of Brick Bat Coba Waterproofing
Here is the step by step procedure for the Brick Bat Coba Waterproofing.
- Surface Preparation for Brick Bat Coba
- Application of Base Coat and Cement Slurry to the Surface
- Laying a Coat of Protective Waterproofing Compound
#1. Surface Preparation for Brick Bat Coba
- First of all, it is necessary to clean all surface of the slab properly. The existing patches of the concrete and the coating should be removed properly with the hard wire brush.
- Clean the surface of the slab with water in order to remove all the minute particles and dust from the slab.
- It is recommended to make the surface of the slab rough with the help of pointing tools which will help in proper bonding.
- The purpose of surface preparation for brickbat Coba is to remove all dust particles, oil and grease from the surface of the slab.
#2. Application of Base Coat and Cement Slurry to the Surface
- The cement slurry of the required consistency is prepaid to apply on the surface of the RCC slab.
- The cement slurry should be applied properly in the prescribed quantity of slurry Application is 2.75 kg of cement per square meter.
- The joints between the floor slab and the Parapet wall should be properly Applied with the cement slurry.
- The Coat of mortar of about 25 mm should be applied after the application of the slurry.
- The Broken bricks are placed properly by maintaining a gap of 15 mm to 25 mm.
- The gap between the brickbat filled with the cement mortar. The bricks should be dipped in water so that it will not absorb water from the Mortar.
#3. Laying a Coat of Protective Waterproofing Compound
- The Waterproofing agent should be added in the mixture of cement and water as per the specifications given by the manufacture.
- This will help to reduce the chances of leakages in future and make the slab leakage proof.
- It is necessary to do proper curing of the Brickbat Coba with the help of ponding and sprinkling water on it.
- If the proper curing is done then there may be chances of developing cracks.
- Curing is done continuously for a period of 2 weeks.
Advantages of Brick Bat Coba Waterproofing
- It helps to prevent the entry of moisture in the structure.
- Brickbat Coba is a very effective method of Waterproofing as compared to other methods of Waterproofing.
- The Bricks used in the waterproofing absorbs the rainwater protect the structure from leakages.
- This is best suitable in the areas where the Annual Rainfall is higher than the average rainfall.
- Brickbat Coba provides insulation to the structures from the climatic changes and helps to maintain the temperature in the building.
Disadvantages of Brick Bat Coba Waterproofing
The Brick Bat Coba is an effective method of waterproofing but there are some disadvantages which are listed are as follows
- The thickness of the brickbat is around 125 mm to 150 mm Brickbat Coba increase the dead load of the structure.
- The Maintenance which is required for the Brick Bat Coba is very difficult and complex.
- There are the chances of Developing cracks in the Brickbat Waterproofing due to its rigidness.
- If the cracks develop then it is impossible to repair it and prevent the entry of moisture for a longer period of time.
- The Construction of the Brick Bat Coba waterproofing required skilled workmanship because it gets affected by the climate variations and heavy rainfall.
Also, Read: What Is Waterproofing | Types of Waterproofing
Suitability of Brickbat Coba Waterproofing
- Brickbat Coba is ideal for the structures where the annual rainfall is higher than the average rainfall of that particular area.
Cost of Construction Required for Brick Bat Coba
- The cost of construction of the brickbat Coba waterproofing for the slab of 1000 square feet varies from Rs 50,000 to Rs 70,000.
- It is not recommended to use brick Bat Coba for the terrace if you are planning to build the upper floor in the future. In this case, it will be a waste of money if you are constructing the upper floor.