What Is Formwork?
• The terms concrete formwork and concrete form carry the same meaning and are used interchangeably in this book.
• Formwork is defined as a temporary structure whose purpose is to provide support and containment for fresh concrete until it can support itself.
• It moulds the concrete to the desired shape and size and controls its position and alignment.
• Concrete forms are engineered structures that are required to support loads such as fresh concrete, construction materials, equipment, workers, various impacts, and sometimes wind.
• The forums must support all the applied loads without collapse or excessive deflection.
What Is Shuttering?
• Vertical formwork is known as shuttering. Formwork for columns, retaining walls, footings are known as shuttering.
• It is a part of formwork, which is quite popular now a days & constructed on sites by using Steel & plywood. formwork which supports vertical arrangement is known as shuttering.
• Moulds can be temporary or permanent wherein concrete or similar material is poured & formed. During shuttering, it is advisable to use waterproof & good quality plywood.
• In concrete construction methodology, the falsework supports the shuttering moulds.
• Shuttering work is a vertical temporary arrangement which is arranged to bring concrete in the desired shape.
Types of Shuttering
• Wood Shuttering
• Steel Shuttering
• Aluminum Shuttering
• Glass-Reinforced Shuttering
What Is Centering?
• Centering is a part of formwork. It is used to support horizontal members like slabs. Formwork for slabs and floor beams is known as centring.
• Formwork which supports the horizontal surface such as beam, slab bottoms is call centring.
• It is the specialized formwork used in the construction of arches, shells space structure where the entire false-work is (struck or de-centred) as a unit to avoid introducing injurious stress in any part of a structure.
Types of Centering
• Wood Centering
• Steel Centering
• Aluminum Centering
• Glass-Reinforced Centering
What Is Staging?
• Staging is a temporary member which is used to support formwork, after completion of columns up to roof beam bottom construction of roof slab is stats.
• The first stage is staging. Staging is noting but the erection of staging forms on which shuttering of roof slab or beam will rest.
• Staging can be made of different type of materials starting wooden to metal parts, which hold is shuttering. Staging should be stable and firm to hold the load of the slab.
• It should be firm enough so that during concreting it should properly hold the concrete & shuttering so that shuttering does not bulge of settle.
• Scaffolding is a temporary platform used to lift, support, and supply materials during a construction process for the repair or cleaning of a structure.
• It is installed before construction or maintenance work begins. Therefore, whatever the size of a building, scaffolding will always be necessary.
• This is done to ensure the safety of workers while the building is being maintained or constructed. In addition, it also provides some degree of support for a standing structure during the construction phase.
Types of Scaffolding
• Single Scaffolding
• Double Scaffolding
• Cantilever Scaffolding
• Suspended Scaffolding
• Trestle Scaffolding
• Steel Scaffolding
• Patented Scaffolding
• Wooden Gantries Scaffolding