Specific Gravity Test of Bitumen
By the specific gravity test on bitumen, we are determining the bitumen specific gravity that is one of the important properties of bitumen.
This specific gravity of bitumen test helps in understanding the sp gravity of bitumen.
Used for pavement construction is the classification of bitumen binders that can therefore be used.
The source of the bitumen binder can also help in identifying. In the bitumen specimen, the presence of the mineral impurities can also help in pointing out.
If the mineral impurities quantity is more, then the value of specific gravity will increase.
Instead of weight sometimes the volume of bitumen is specified, Presenting asphalt concrete mix design.
Apparatus OF Specific Gravity Test of Bitumen
Useful Article For You
- Best Mortar for Shower Pan
- Best Concrete for Driveway Repair
- Best Cement
- Best Concrete Mix for Fence Posts
- Best Tiles in India
- Best House Foundation
- Best Plywood in India
- Best Calacatta Quartz
- Solid Gravity Dam
- Bitumen Asphalt
- Best Material for Walls
- Best Trim Color for Green House
- Best Color Door for Red Brick House
- Best Construction Certifications
- Best Wood for Support Beams
- Best Companies for Environmental Engineers
- Best Building Stone
- Best Metal Post for Wood Fence
- Best Waterproofing for Concrete Roof
- Best Pipe for Sewer Line
- best wall panels for bathroom
- Best Kitchen Remodel App
1. Specific Gravity Bottles
In this test, the bottles are used that are called wide-mouthed capillary type-specific gravity bottles.
Whose neck diameter is 6 mm, that is called Ordinary capillary type-specific gravity bottles.
In this ordinary capillary type-specific gravity bottle the materials are used that remain absolute fluid at 25 °C temperature.
Whose neck diameter is 25 mm, which is called a wide-mouthed capillary type-specific gravity bottle.
The stopper is centrally located concerning the vertical axis. Its diameter is varying 1-2 mm.
At the center, the height of the concave surface is varying 4.0-6.0 mm.
3. Constant Temperature Bath
With 0.2 °C accuracies, the constant temperature bath should be maintained at the given temperature.
That of pycnometer bottles, the depth should be greater than.
4. Bath Thermometer
The range must be between 0 to 44 °C. The least count should be 0.1 °C
5. Other Apparatus
And the Other Apparatus That’s Being Used Is Below:
- Electronic balance
- Heating oven
Useful Article for You
- Classification of Stone Work
- Stone Masonry vs Brick Masonry
- Cement Rate Today
- How to Get House for Free
- Top 10 Cement in India 2023
- Slab Reinforcement Calculation
- Steps for Construction of Building
- What Is Hempcrete
- How Long Does Thinset Take to Dry
- Floating Concrete Slab
- Zero Force Members
- How Much Does a Yard of Concrete Weigh
- Gradient Road0
- Types of Vaulted Ceilings
- Bond Breaker
- Budget Sunroom Ideas
- What Is Gypsum Board
- What Are Risers
- What Are Engineering Drawings
- Types of Wood Beams
- Bearing Vs Azimuth
- Brick Masonry
- What Is Weep Holes
- Standard Pipe Sizes for Plumbing
Procedure of Specific Gravity Test of Bitumen
- At first, when conducting the specific gravity test for bitumen, clean the specific gravity bottles and weigh them along with the stopper after they are dried. Note down this weight reading as And then one of the bottles was filled with distilled water and put on the stopper. Before filling the water should be cleanly boiled and cooled.
- After that minimum at 27 ± 0.1 °C and for at least 30 minutes in a beaker of distilled water up to its neck place the bottle on submerged. or at which any other temperature specific gravity is to be determined and can be maintained.
- With a dry cloth on the outside of the bottle clean the surplus moisture after Remove the bottles from the water bath. Again, measure the weight reading of the bottle. Note down this weight reading as After taking the weight reading the bottle should be dry again.
- By the application of heat carefully bring the bitumen specimen to a fluid state so that the material does not evaporate. After the step slightly warm the specific gravity bottle. Until half, into the dry and clean specific gravity bottle, pour the bituminous sample. Ensure that with the sides of the bottle the material does not come in contact.
- With the neck of the bottle, A small funnel can be used for pouring the materials which prevent the material from coming in contact. If there have any air bubbles the partly filled bottle to stand at 60-70 temperature so that the entrapped can escape.
- Up to the specified temperature allow the bottle to cool and weigh it. Note down this weight reading as Fill the bottle with freshly boiled distilled water that containing asphalt and loosely place the stopper. We should care that how to we can prevent air bubbles in the bottle.
- We need to attach the stopper firmly for at least 30 minutes and place the specific gravity bottle in the water bath. With a dry cloth on the outside of the bottle clean the surplus moisture after Remove the bottles from the water bath. At last measure, the weight reading of the bottle again and note down this weight reading as
Result of Specific Gravity Test of Bitumen
Using the specific gravity of bitumen formula, the specific gravity of the specimen is recorded as the ratio of the mass of an equal volume of distilled water to the mass of the specimen.
Within the range, the specific gravity of bitumen falls – 0.97 to 1.02 at 27 °C.
Grade of Bitumen
|A – 25||0.99|
|A – 35||0.99|
|A – 45||0.99|
|A – 65||0.99|
|S – 35||0.99|
|S – 65||0.99|
|A – 90||0.98|
|S – 90||0.98|
|A – 200||0.97|
|S – 200||0.97|
Conclusion of Specific Gravity Test of Bitumen
By understanding the specific gravity of asphalt and specific gravity of tar, and by performing the specific gravity test, we can determine if the given bitumen sample meets the specification requirements as given in the specific gravity of bitumen is code.
By the compared to the standard value the specific gravity found out of the practical and thus the specific gravity criteria can be concluded whether the sample meets for the given grade of bitumen.