Introduction of Bamboo
- Bamboo is one of the oldest and traditional construction material used in different construction activities.
- The bamboos strength it is more as compared to other construction material. Bamboo as a building material has greater compressive strength and it is lightweight so that it is widely used as a construction material.
- In this article, you will get to know about the uses of bamboo as a construction material and different properties of bamboo.
- The demand for timber is increasing day by day all over the world. But due to short supply of timber, the bamboo is suitably used as a replacement of the construction material. Bamboo is also recently started using different types of designer homes.
- Bamboo is widely used in the construction industry for various purposes such as scaffolding construction of bridges and structures etc.
- Bamboo defines as a tall tropical plant with hard and hollow stems. Bamboo is a natural product which is widely used in the construction of partition walls floorings and ceiling panels and for roofing.
- Bamboo is one of the fastest-growing plants in all over the world. Bamboo is a renewable resource which can be cultivated in different types of soil.
- Bamboo has referred mostly in the earthquake-prone regions due to its elastic properties.
- Bamboo is widely used for the construction of partition walls and beams which are the main structural elements of any structure.
- Bamboo is the best option for the roofing material and widely used by the people in the construction of structures especially where bamboo is in abundance.
- The bamboo roof is very popular and widely used in the construction of homes which gives aesthetical look to the roof of the home.
- Bamboo has a natural surface which is smooth and clean and very attractive and does not require painting. That’s why it is very cost-effective to use bamboo as a construction material.
- Structural bamboo is used for the construction of various structural elements such as beam and columns etc. Bamboo has a high load-bearing capacity so that it is widely used in different structural elements.
- Bamboo is ancient construction material and widely used in different countries for the construction because of its high compressive strength and tensile strength.
- Because of the circular and hollow section of the bamboo it is the very lightweight construction material which is very easy to handle and transport.
- Bamboo can be used for both permanent as well as temporary construction of different types of structures.
Advantages of Bamboo
Bamboo has various advantages as a construction material which are as follows
- Bamboo has high tensile strength as compared to Steel because of its fibres runs axially.
- Bamboo has good elastic property so that it is widely used in the earthquake-prone areas.
- Bamboo has high fire resistance and it can withstand up to 4000 degree Celsius.
- Bamboo economical and easy to use as compared to another type of construction material.
- Bamboo is easier for transportation and construction.
- Bamboo is lightweight material as compared to other construction material.
- Bamboo is an environment friendly construction material and does not cause pollution.
- Bamboo is more durable as compared to other construction materials.
Disadvantages of Bamboo
The bamboo also has some disadvantages which are as follows
- Bamboo shrinks much greater as compared to other types of materials.
- If the bamboo is not sufficiently treated it may undergo the fungus attack or attacks caused by insects.
- There may be a problem of swelling and shrinkage of bamboo in the concrete.
- Bamboo may absorb water during the casting and curing of the concrete.
Bamboo Uses in Construction
There are various uses for bamboo in various construction of buildings.
- Bamboo is also used as a roofing material which offers protection against extreme weather conditions.
- Bamboo is also used in the construction of different types of partition walls.
- Bamboo is also used as a flooring material.
- Bamboo has a high load-bearing capacity due to which it is used as a scaffolding material.
- Bamboo is also used as a construction material in the earthquake-prone areas due to its high receivable strength to absorb shocks.
- Bamboo is also used in the construction of buildings such as in flooring roofing and ceiling panels.
- Bamboo can be also used as a reinforcement in the different types of structural members. Hence, it is also known as structural bamboo.
Properties of Bamboo as a Construction Material
The bamboo has various properties as a construction material which are as follows
- Compressive Strength of Bamboo
- Tensile Strength of Bamboo
- Elastic Modulus of Bamboo
- Shrinkage in the Bamboo
- Fire Resistance
#1. Compressive Strength of Bamboo
The bamboo has greater compressive strength. The slimmer tubes of bamboo have greater compressive strength value.
#2. Tensile Strength of Bamboo
Bamboo has greater tensile strength as compared to the compressive strength. The fibres which are present in the bamboo runs actually which has highly elastic and has high tensile strength.
#3. Elastic modulus of bamboo
Elastic modulus of the bamboo is one of the most important properties of the bamboo. More elastic modulus higher the quality of the bamboo.
The accumulation of the strong fibres in the tube wall of the bamboo affects the elastic modulus.
#4. Shrinkage in the bamboo
Bamboo shrinks more as compared to wood and Timber when it losses water. That’s why it is very necessary that proper measures should be taken to prevent water loss when bamboo used as a construction material.
#5. Fire resistance
Bamboo has good heat preservation and heat insulation property.
- Bamboo is very popular and widely used material in bamboo architecture and design.
- Bamboo has strong adaptability e in the strength as well as in thickness so that there are different combinations and adjustments can be done as per the architectural principles.
- Bamboo architecture is very popular nowadays and widely used in the construction of the building.
- Bamboo can be used as an ideal construction material for the construction and the development of low carbon buildings and green building.
The bamboo facade is a sustainable and ecological alternative for the tropical hardwood. This is used for the solid bamboo boards for the outdoor uses.