What Is Drywall?
Drywall is basically a gypsum board which is installed on the interior wall of the house. Drywall is widely known by some other names like gypsum panel, sheet-rock, wallboard, custard board, buster board, etc.
In drywall, a gypsum board is sandwiched by two paper boards. Those are attached by quick set gypsum plaster. Sometimes foaming agents and plasticizers are also added with the gypsum plaster. Drywall construction was started in the time of 20th century in the USA to save the labour cost of plastering.
What Is Drywall Made Of ?
Drywall is naturally made of gypsum board. The Gypsum board is placed in the middle of the total structure and it is surrounded by two paper boards. The installation process of drywall is almost the same as other interior objects. Here, we are using gypsum plaster with a foaming agent and some plasticizers.
What Drywall to Use in Bathroom?
There are generally different types of drywall that can be used in the bathroom, those are-
- Greenboard: In the bathroom, we need to use the drywall which can resist the water and the greenboard is that type of drywall. It is a green coloured board with a wax finish over it for waterproofing.
- Cement Board: Cement board is also another type of drywall board which is used in the bathroom. Here, cement is used for waterproofing.
- Blueboard: It is also used in the bathroom where gypsum crystal is used for better bonding and waterproofing.
- Whiteboard: Whiteboard is the most common type of drywall which is used in bathrooms. It is generally standard sheetrock.
- Paperless Type: In other types of drywall, we are using coated paper on the outside of the gypsum board but here we are using fibreglass, instead of paper.
- Type X and Type C: In this type of drywall the mainboard is covered with glass from both sides. It is done to create the whole fireproofing system.
- Purple Drywall: This drywall is actually used for mould-resistant and moisture resistant purposes.
- Soundproof Drywall: This type of drywall is used in the study room, library, etc. Here, polymers, laminated wood and gypsum are used for soundproofing purposes.
- Soundboard Drywall: This type of drywall is infused with fibre boards which help to create a passage for sound. It is used in musical instruments, amplifiers, speakers, etc.
- Enviroboard Drywall: This type of drywall is very modern days which is made of recycled cellulose.
Here, the drywall construction procedure are as follows.
- In drywall construction, no mortar is used.
- Drywall boards are generally made of plywood, asbestos-cement board, fibre-pulp board, etc.
- Those boards are fixed with building structures with nails, screws or some adhesives.
- After that gypsum mortar is used for plastering. Plastering is done with a trowel which is made of steel. Trowel provides a smooth surface finish.
- Finally, some wallboards or coated papers are attached to this.
Here the Drywall installation steps are as follows.
- At first, we need to measure the place where we need to place the drywall. Measure all length, height and breadth of the place.
- Secondly, create a proper diagram of that place with all measured heights.
- After that, we need to place the drywall. We need to care about the marking sign of white colour which needs to be on the upward side of the drywall. Please use a scale for proper straight-line marking.
- For scoring, the purpose uses a utility knife but don’t press it so much because then it will go deeper and crosses the firm line, which will create more problems.
- After scoring it will create a good bump in the back sight and it will cut in half at the place of scoring.
- Then we need to use a utility knife for the cutting purpose of back paper which is attached with drywall.
- Next, we need to take it to the spot for testing purposes.
- After testing thoroughly, use screws for fitting and you need to take care about the right space and interval of those screws otherwise it will create so many problems.
- Use sufficient screws, it will prevent cracks on the drywall.
Drywall Repair Cost Per Square Foot
Drywall costs may vary from one place to another because of the availability of material, labour charges, transportation costs, etc. But there is some average amount, those are-
- The general cost of drywall repair cost for the whole ceiling and wall is $50 – $100 per square foot.
- The repair cost for small portion repair is $2 to $6 per square foot.
- $50 – $400 per square foot rupees are charged for whole or cracks repair in the drywall.
Drywall Ceiling Repair Cost
Drywall ceiling repair costs may vary from one place to another. The average cost of drywall ceiling repair is about $150 to $400. The replacement of sheetrock ceiling is almost $400 to $1000. Here are some details of drywall ceiling repair costs, those are-
|Medium to large holes||$200 – $400|
|Small holes and dents||$50 – $150|
|6” hairline cracks||$100 – $250|
|6” – 24” medium cracks||$120 – $130|
|Texturing or painting||$150 – $600|
|Corners or large cracks||$150 – $400|
|Minor water damage||$200 – $500|
|Medium water damage||$200 – $600|
|Sagging ceiling||$250 – $1000|
|Major water damage and leak repair||$500 – $2500|
|Ceiling replacement||$400 – $1000|
Also Read : Core Cutter Method
Drywall Installation Cost
Here, the how much coat of drywall installation are as follows.
- The general installation cost for drywall is near about $1.5 to $3.5 per square foot. The material varies from $0.5 to $0.8 and the labour charges are $1 to $2.7
- The drywall installation for a 12” x 12” room is near about $580 to $1800.
- The drywall installation cost of a 2000 sq. ft. house is $8000 to $30,000
Some other installation cost of drywall is the following-
|Room Type||Average Cost|
|12” x 12” room||$580 – $1800|
|5” x 8” room||$300 – $1000|
|Master bedroom 12” x 20”||$750 – $2600|
|Carriage 20” x 20”||$1000 – $3900|
|Living room 16” x 20”||$850 – $3100|
|Basement (1000 sq. Ft.)||$1500 – $7000|
|House (1500 sq. Ft.)||$5500 – $22000|
|House (2000 sq. Ft.)||$8000 – $30000|
|House (2500 sq. Ft.)||$9000 – $35000|
|House (3000 sq. Ft.)||$10000 – $45000|