Information of Water Leakage from Ceiling
Water is one of the most important resource but it is also the biggest enemy of construction materials. The water leakages problems can adversely affect the structures and masonry.
Water can be the most destructive element for structures that are mainly constructed from concrete. So, it is very important that the water leakage should be detected as early as possible and treated well so that it will not further affect the building.
In this article, we will be going to see the water leakage from the ceiling and how you can stop water leakage from the ceiling.
What Is Water Leakage from Ceiling?
The water which gets percolated from the roofs and then to the ceilings due to the improper Water Leakage from the ceiling is one of the common problems that is found in the ceiling of your house. When the water gets percolates from the ceiling area of the roof is known as ceiling water leakage.
The leakages from the ceilings are one of the biggest challenges for the house owners because it is very difficult to identify the exact location of the leakage. The leakages in the ceiling mainly occur due to the wear and tear of the membrane.
Signs of Water Leaking from Ceiling
- The issues like discoloration, sagging of plaster or the leakage of the water from the ceiling of your house is a sign of water leaking from the ceiling.
- The sign of water leaking from the ceiling should not be taken as lightly as it will cause huge damage to the structure.
- The water leakage problems are due to various issues such as defective plumbing systems.
Causes of Water Leakages from Ceiling
There are various causes of the water leakages that are as follows.
- The lack of slope is provided to the roofs of the building which causes the stagnation of the water.
- If the faces of the walls are exposed to the rain and it is not properly protected and waterproofing is done.
- If the building is constructed at such a location where it is impossible to drain off the rainwater.
- If the walls are not exposed to the sunlight, then there are chances of dampness.
- That’s why the orientation of the building plays an important role.
- If the lack of drainage system provided due to which the water is getting accumulated and causes the problems of leakages.
- Poor workmanship and maintenance of the water supply pipe connections.
Effect of Water Leakage from Ceiling
The structures are adversely affected by the water leakage that is as follows
- The water leakages cause dampness in the buildings due to which there is an unhealthy condition.
- The metals used in the construction of the buildings get corroded due to being in contact with the water.
- The electrical fittings will get deteriorated due to the water leakage from the ceiling.
- The leaky roofs badly affect the ceiling of your house and the ceiling plaster and the paints.
- The plaster of the ceilings starts expanding and the paint will get the peel off from the ceilings.
- If the house has concealed wiring and electrical fittings then the water leakage may cause a short circuit which can be very dangerous.
- Water leakage from the ceilings may affect the structural integrity of the structure.
Typical Signs Water Leaking from Ceiling Area
Some of the signs of leakage of the water from the ceiling area are as follows
- The spots of water on the ceiling of your house are one of the primary signs of the water leakage from the ceiling area.
- The appearance of the cracks or bubbling of the surface of the paint on the ceiling is a clear indication of the water leakage and it should be treated as early as possible, otherwise, it may extend in the future.
- A dark spot or discoloration on the ceiling is a major sign of water leakage through the ceilings.
- The sagging of the ceilings and discoloration is a dangerous problem and can be repaired immediately otherwise it may affect the structural integrity of the building.
Finding the Source of Water leakage from ceiling
It is very important to detect the exact location of the water leakage so that it can be treated properly with the appropriate method.
Each source of water leakage has some characteristics and you may find some symptoms that will help you to identify the exact location of the water leakages.
Here we have listed some of the symptoms of the water leakages
1. Damages in Plumbing and Sanitary Fittings
The problems in the plumbing pipes or fixtures are the potential source of the water damage. The water that is leaking is often due to faulty plumbing issues.
2. Damaged Waterproofing System
If the seepage or leakages are very slow, with the rate of dripping around every 3 seconds interval, then it could be due to a damaged waterproofing system. Another common type of symptom includes multiple areas of dripping and occasional leak.
3. Roof Water Leakage
The Water Leakages from the roofs are caused because of the rainwater. The water leakages usually happen during or after rains and are more severe during downpours.
It is challenging to detect the root cause of the problem as the roof has multiple elements a detailed assessment and regular maintenance of the roof it should be done.
Also, Read: Top 15+ Best Plywood Brands in India
How to Stop Water Leakage from Ceiling
- The root cause of the water leakage from ceilings is due to stagnation of water on the roof.
- There are various causes of the water leakage from the ceilings and the main reason is due to inadequate slope provided to the roof due to which there will be dampness in flat roofs.
- The leakages from ceilings can be avoided to the great extent by providing adequate slope to the roofs. In the case of the RCC slab roofs, the proper grading above a slope of 1 in 100 is to be considered desirable.
- This can be achieved by varying the thickness of the material that is used in the terrace.
- In addition to the provision of the slopes, the proper water pipes or outlets should be installed. One pipe of 10 cm diameter should be installed or suitable for every 30 sq.m of the area of the roof for effective drainage.
- These pipes can be connected to the wells or rainwater harvesting so that they can be effectively used.
Treatment for Water Leakage from Ceilings for Flat Roofs
- It is very important that effective ceiling waterproofing should be done for the protection of residential, commercial, and industrial buildings.
- The Flat roofs require heavier and costlier waterproofing treatment as compared to the waterproofing treatment required for the sloped roofs.
- Repair and fill all the cracks on the flat slabs, because the cracks are responsible for the water leakages.
- The material that is used for the waterproofing should have good resistance to water and have adequate thermal insulation.