What Is Skillion Roof ?
The Skillion roof is a unique type of roof which has just one unvarying isolated surface. The characteristics of this type of roof are crucial than regular smooth tents. The main difference between a standard roof and a Skillion roof is the perpendicular pitch or rise.
The Skillion roof is an attractive decoration purpose roof with minimal cost. This roof is looking realistic, and the bright lines of this roof decorate the whole structure. The Skillion roof is also known as Lean-to roofs, mono-pitched roofs, shed roofs, pent-roof, etc. Skillion roofs are widely used as a roofing method in Victorian periods.
Naturally, the single sloped plane is not connected to another roof of Skillion roofs, and this portion is making a difference with a gable roof. This type of roofs is easy to construct and widely adopt different roof designs because it does not need any clamping of roof fragments. The Skillion roofs can decrease the temperature by five degrees; that’s why they can be used for both animals and people.
Types of Skillion Roofs
- Butterfly Roof
- Oval Roof
- Split Skillion Roof
- Multiple Skillion Roof
1. Butterfly Roof
A butterfly roof is also known as a V roof. This type of roof has two roof surfaces which are sloping down to the interior of the roof. The slope is opposing the perimeter. In the US, butterfly roofs are correlated, and it is also used in modern architecture. The butterfly roofs are widely used in Victorian and Georgian terraced house of British cities which is also termed as “London” roofs.
In this roof, rainwater can be passed by both sides of the roof and runoff in the down spot of the center of a valley. One side of the roof is tilted to the valley ends, and this type of roof has a higher perimeter of walls and clerestory windows give permission to enter light without hampering privacy.
2. Oval Roof
An oval roof is a type of roof where the roof creates a smooth curve, where others create a steep slope, and this looks more organic aesthetic. The oval roof is generally used for bigger indoor areas. We can add another floor with a limitation of height.
This is naturally protected from the wind by its aerodynamic structure. This type of roofs are not used in domestic purpose because the cost of this too high.
3. Split Skillion Roof
4. Multiple Skillion Sections
Uses of Skillion Roofs
There are many uses of Skillion roofs, those are-
- This type of floor has a good water drainage system because it has steeper slopes.
- This type of roof are flat sailing, heap and very fast constructing.
- This type of roof can be personalized according to the customer’s choice.
- Another use of Skillion roof is utilized in expansion.
- The isolated slope of this roof includes fewer components.
- The Skillion roofs have eco-friendly insertion properties so that we can include solar panels, skylights, etc.
- This type of roof has a lengthy slope so that the roofs can allocate more natural illumination to the households.
- The Skillion roof provides wider out on top.
- The longevity of this roof is more than horizontal caliber roofs.
- These types of roofs are elicited by bucolic and manufacturing threads.
How to Build a Skillion Roof ?
- The Skillion roofs do not require to connect to other portions of the roof, and there are generally standalone roofs. This type of roof is easy to construct, and it does not have uneven slopes or pitches.
- Metal, asphalt, wood shingles are some major and main components of Skillion roofs. Finishing materials are also applied over those components to protect those components. Metal sheets are used as finishing material.
- The main thing we must remember in our mind is the degree of the pitch of the roof and levelling of the roof. You need to pay attention to the direction of the wind; otherwise it may damage the roof in the time of storm. If you want to modify your roof then you put a metal cladding to avoid essential rise and fall of the roof.
- Rafters are the sloping instruments of Skillion roof pitch. These provide extra support of the roof and distribute the loads to the external wall to provide support. We also add beams to provide extra support for rafters along the length.
- Support beams are a very important structure that we have to select according to the correct thickness and placement of the beam. Beams are placed generally 90-degree to the horizontal angle along the rafters. Those beams are provided to give extra support to the constructions and rafters.
- Portal frames are also a structural element that is added to the design of the Skillion roof. This is naturally a series of trusses that will provide extra support to the structure. Portal frames are made of steel or wood, and it depends upon the needed strength of the roof.
What Are the Benefits of the Skillion Roof?
There are so many benefits of using a Skillion roof, those are
1. Better Drainage
This type of roof have a higher and steeper slope than another type of roof, so the rainwater runs off quickly from thro of than the other ones. This type of problem is faced by normal roofs. There are lesser chances of leakage because the water runs off very quickly. Butterfly type of Skillion roofs are also eco-friendly structures because they can store rainwater with their wings, and this process is widely used in Australia’s drought weather.
2. More Eco-friendly and Sustainable
This is more eco-friendly because it can store rainwater, and we can install solar panels in the inclined part of the roof. So, this roofs are favorable for skylights to get maximum sunlight in the daytime and save electricity by using solar power.
3. More Affordable
4. Aesthetic Dramatic Design
The steep line in the Skillion roof attracts other people. The raising part of the ceiling is generally used for the conversation part.
5. Privacy from Close Neighbors
You can block the viewpoints into the house by creating a steep gradient of the roof. Sometimes, you can also use clerestory windows for ventilation and light purpose in your room with maintaining your privacy.
6. Longer Lifespan
When you construct the Skillion roof by Skillion labor using quality materials, then the life span of the Skillion is far better than the normal type of roof.
Is It Cheaper to Build a Skillion Roof or Flat Roof ?
When you are going to construct a good roof, then you have to remember some long-term factors, like material quality, climate condition, etc. But flat roofs are slightly costlier than the Skillionroofs, and flat roofs also have some drawbacks than Skillion roofs.
On the flat roof, there is no natural water drainage, but the Skillion roof has already a drainage system of having a slope. This will reduce the lesser chance of leakage problems. The construction cost of a Skillion roof is less than a flat roof because the material cost and maintenance cost is higher than a Skillion roof.
Skillion Roof Advantages
There are so many advantages of Skillion roof, those are-
- Better water drainage: The Skillion roofs have better water drainage efficiency, so leakage chance is very less; so, this is the advantage of using Skillion roof over flat roof.
- Easy to build: This type of roof is easy to build, and it requires some few materials. But Skillion roof construction needs a high level of precision and accuracy.
- Modern design: The unique and modern design of this type of look attracts people. It provides a better outlook within the minimum budget.
- Elegant yet simple: The Skillion roofs are sloped surfaces which is quite simple but elegant in looking.
- Affordable: The Skillion roof materials are very low budget, and affordable and products are available. This type of roof is cheap and easy to construct.
- Longer lifespan: When we construct the Skillion using high-quality materials, then the lifespan of the Skillion roof gets a longer lifespan than a gable roof or flat roof. You need to use weather-resistance materials for extreme weather conditions.
- Energy efficient: The Skillion roof is an energy-efficient and eco-friendly roof because, in the sloped portion, you can install the solar panels to save the conventional energy.
Skillion Roof Disadvantages
There are some disadvantages of using Skillion roof, those are
- No attic space: One of the main disadvantages of using a Skillion roof is there is no attic space in Skillion roof. If you want extra storage in the roof, then this type of roof is not useful. The roof angle in this roof is very tighter than gable or other roof so, it has not enough space for attic space.
- Prone to wind damage: Skillion roofs are highly damaged prone to wind or hurricanes like hip and gable roofs. To overcome this problem, you need to construct many roof slopes to keep safe the main roof.
Skillion Roof Variation
- There are many types of designs available in the Skillion roof, but oval-shaped or circular shaped Skillion are largely used in construction. This type of roof is used because there is no sharp ridge, the only soft ridge is there, and it helps to resist wind pressure. It also provides an artistic aesthetic beauty to the structure.
- Another most used type of Skillion roof is butterfly roof with the two slope panels downwards to different directions and meet at the middle of the roof. The angle of roof slope represents the wings of the butterfly, and it is very useful to collect rainwater; so, it’s very useful in high rainfall areas.
- Another most popular Skillion roof type is mono pitched or split Skillion roof, which is the combination of the gable and Skillion roofs. The split Skillion is a type of roof which is constructed with different types of roofs which do not intersect each other.
- Lean-to Skillion roofs are another variation of Skillion roofs which are generally used in sheds, porches, unique buildings, etc.
Skillion Roof Ventilation
- Skillion roofs are generally difficult for ventilation because it has narrow framing and tight formation, that’s why it reduces the natural ventilation process.
- But in New Zealand, researchers show that there is no difficulty in ventilation and gradual ventilation is also good in this type of roof.
- A huge amount of air is flowing over the Skillion roof; so, you need to completely airtight the whole structure by applying asphalt over it or using metal sheet or plywood roofs or using timbre shingles with an interleaved to avoid moisture by solar.
- There is no moisture containing element in the Skillion roof; that’s why leakage is not there, but in case of the wet farming, there is some plumbing leaks or moisture penetration.
Prevent Moisture Entry from Spaces Below
- After completing the construction and the building occupied by the owner, the moisture does not bring any type of roof framing cavities.
- In a building, which is occupied by the owner, the inside air is more warmer than the outside air because of the action of cooking, heating, breathing, and moisture generated heat, etc. The researchers say that that the moisture can be transported through cracks, gaps, roof cavities, etc. So, we need to construct the Skillion roof direction, which prevents the moisture from carrying airflow.
- Moist air is not generated from the ventilation, air leak or diffusion, and it generally generates from the cold portion of the structure like the underneath portion of the roof covering materials. The moisture is created from the water, which makes a wet layer, can harm the materials of the building by creating bubbles under the membrane.